QLD Why Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by matty_fu, 11th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. matty_fu

matty_fu Active Member

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3qq2pn83?p=3

I found this thread over at Whirlpool forums where they're mentioning how Brisbane prices have stagnated for the last 15 years. I'm new to investing and I guess I'm wondering why people continue to invest in Brisbane if the capital growth is lacklustre.

- betting on a future brisbane boom? It seems like this may never come, due to wider land availability than Melbourne/Sydney
    - preference for higher rental yields?
    - using for negative gearing?

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

the forlorn hope Clem Jones ghost will return to become Lord Mayor or premier , perhaps

a hopeless state government a totally useless opposition party

so maybe , this is lackluster growth for the bubble pop to deflate

if looking in the Brisbane area WATCH OUT FOR THE FLOOD ZONES , they must be wildly inaccurate by now

and BTW they have clueless dam management as well ( but i did well cleaning up the 'Goodna Floods ')

3. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Pretty much. A long period of historical underperformance doesn't make somewhere a bad investment location today, infact it may mean the opposite.

No argument that investors in Sydney and Melbourne have done better over the last decade, however the question is what will happen in the next?

Plus Brisbane has suffered from some bad luck along the way too - GFC, floods, end of the mining boom, APRA restrictions that came in after southern capitals had their boom but before Brisbane took off, and now Covid. One day we will have our day in the sun!

Sackie, luckyone, C-mac and 5 others like this.
  4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Have a search on this forum not Whirlpool, plenty of threads on Brisbane

5. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

I've said it all before on other posts but interstate investors seem to think they know the place better than someone that's lived here for many years. Some people on here are buying in areas that people's lifetime ambition is to get out of. There has been growth here but nothing like you see in Sydney or Melbourne, there just isn't the wealth and the cost of living can be on the high side also.

davewa, Dark Phoenix, Codie and 2 others like this.
  6. Vertigo

Vertigo Well-Known Member

this is my thinking as well, even Tassie boomed recently

7. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

i wouldnt say brisbNe has stagnated

we bought in 2013 for 370k , todays value would be 600k minimum

i think as long as you bought in a semi desirable area you would.of made ok money

brisbane city hasnt been big enough and had a tight enough supply in the last ten years for an uptick to float all ships

i have been dubious about investing in areas around logan and the like in the past but i think the price points around.brisbane are getting to the point where investing in the less desirable areas is starting to look more attractive

Rich2011 and wilso8948 like this.
  8. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

People often lump up Logan and Ipswich with Brisbane. They are not Brisbane as far as I’m concerned.

9. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Is Penrith part of Sydney?

Never giveup, Hamish84 and David_SYD like this.
  10. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Why because the council area is different?
    If people can live in these areas and commute comfortably to Brisbane city then it is Brisbane

In 20 years people will laugh at the rhetoric that the 'Brisbane' locals use to seperate themselves from Logan and Ipswich

11. Antoni0

There are still some unpleasant places in Brisbane but that's not to say you can't make money out of them and that will be up to the individual. I know of people that bought farm land in the 70's that's now worth in the multi-millions due to the zone changes but that was a long time ago.

12. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I'm laughing at it now... I live at Loganholme and the city is not much more than 20 mins away in good traffic. Places like Woodridge are even closer.

Last edited: 13th Jun, 2020
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

They are just different markets, but there are also different markets within Brisbane, same as every big city.

And in my suburb, one of the premier streets with $3m+ houses ends ends at a t-junction with a street with the old housing commission style properties... chalk and cheese within spitting distance.

Antoni0 likes this.
  14. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I default to the usual rhetoric due to the crime they bring.. the gang members catch trains from Caboolture/Logan/Ipswich and steal a merc to drive home in.. a trump style wall might help :cool:

kierank likes this.
  15. Noobieboy

Agree in regards to markets within markets. Unfortunately, once a stigma or certain perception is attached to a place it is very hard to shift. A place can be perceived as "outside"even if it is literally surrounded by the "inside".

People also have the tendency to place higher intrinsic value on these "markets" than they perhaps should. Similar (but not exactly) like the "Aspley side of Zillmere" and just Zillmere; Auburn and Lidcombe. Imaginary borders that result in price differences and different levels of desirability.

Amitgupta5 and wylie like this.
  16. Noobieboy

Looking as statistics incidence of crime in Logan is not much worse than that of Brisbane :D
    I think Brisbane CBD has the highest incidence of crime. But then I see your point, all trains lead to the CBD :eek:

17. Antoni0

Per capita there are a lot more crimes in the Logan area than the Brisbane area, chances are more likely to happen to you in Logan.

18. Nervous

Nervous Well-Known Member

Too late? Zillmere: One man dead, 10 others injured after Brisbane park brawl

19. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

You still get the rent money while waiting (patiently) for the capital growth ;)

20. Paula Ospina

Paula Ospina Active Member

I think the issue here is misconception that Brisbane is one market. While the media often lumps every single market into one to sell a story - its often not the reality of whats happening on the ground.

People continue to invest there because in certain locations it offers both growth and decent yields (which is whats needed long term). It also is a means for people interstate to enter the market who have a low deposit and be able to purchase something much better than they otherwise could in Syd/Melb. There are plenty of suburbs which have had good capital growth :)

Pumpkin likes this.