Why Australia really IS different

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by keithj, 19th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That article was about 15 months ago.

So what happened since then is savvy investors continued to buy good deals (I know this for a fact)while the doom and gloomers continue do what they always, and will always do ----- Nothing.

JayWin, Perthguy and MTR like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Perth has struggled since the end of the mining boom. But in my opinion this was entirely expected and nothing to do with bubbles. It's just a boring old boom/correction. But that's not exciting so there's no money to be made in selling that message. Bubbles and crashes sell ;)

ellejay, Sackie and MTR like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't watch or read 95% of the popular media. It's total rubbish. The media indoctrinate society according to their own agenda and benefit. People are like zombies and both consciously and subconsciously believe everything the media shouts.

An insidious poison.

Last edited: 29th May, 2017
    Perthguy and ollidrac nosaj like this.
  4. JayWin

JayWin Member

Hahaha, exactly. I still see expert and experienced investors continuing about their day, buying great deals, adding value, saving costs where they can, and watching their portfolio grow since 15 months ago.

I've been having success with my inner city and CBD apartments in Melbourne too, despite that guy in the video saying once China restricts cash outflow, we won't see a single apartment in the sky sell.

Well, cash is still leaking out of China like the Titanic. The Chinese are savvy, doesn't matter what the government says. IF they want to move their money out, they'll find ways to move it out - through family members offshore, through their children / family friend's children studying offshore, through business/investment vehicles, etc.

Even though the numbers have fallen, I still see lots of Chinese students or on fresh grad jobs attempting to purchase property. See them at auctions, see them in property showrooms. These guys are pretty relentless. They love the clean air and cheap milk so much it seems!

Perthguy, ollidrac nosaj and Sackie like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I really respect the Chinese and other ethic groups in Australia. They know what they want and won't let anything stop them from achieving their goals. Some groups aspire to bbq in their rentals. They aspire to bbq in their new homes.

Perthguy and ollidrac nosaj like this.
  6. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Noam Chomsky refers to this as "Manufacturing consent", and also makes the argument that team sports are also used to indoctrinate the masses.

Couldnt agree more, nothing ****** me off more than hearing someone whinge about the Chinese, or other foreign investors buying Australian assets.Unfortunately there seems to be a mentality of entitlement by birthright creeping in.

Perthguy and Sackie like this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I think it has alot to do with culture and upbringing. Some groups are ingrained with the ' whiney, poor me hand out' culture while other groups are taught from young to 'work exceptionally hard, study well and buy a home asap'.

Biz and ollidrac nosaj like this.