Why are we calling negative gearing a "benefit"?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by John_BridgeToBricks, 6th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

But you could... it's available to everyone if so inclined.

2. maverick

maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Simon, thanks for replying again. So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that the rental housing supply vs demand in SOME areas (for example, yours') could change. That does make sense in areas you're describing ie: desirable to OEs, low rental yield. However, do you agree that this phenomenon only happens in certain markets, not all? In any case, would you also agree that overall supply and demand of rental housing remains unchanged? So using your situation as an example, if your landlord sells the house, even if you can't find another place to rent in that particular area, you should still be able to find a place to rent (just not necessarily in the area you desire).

3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Invest in residential property? I'd be running screaming into the night.

Propagate likes this.
  4. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

So you want me to explain it to him ?

This argument is rather pointless and circular from both sides and for now it is best to just agree there are variables to which we do not exactly know how they will play out, even if this is to be implemented.

Some people upgrade, some people are fhb, some people die and the property is sold. Investors may buy in or cashout.

Many seem to be overreacting about these possible changes. There seems to be of the notion that because the elections are just around the corner, that so are these changes. And that is not the case, even if Shorten does win.

I think Simon may of mentioned here that these changes need to go through a process, a process that may change or be held up or back for whatever reason. By the time these changes were put in place, even if that is to happen, the market may be somewhat changed from what we are seeing right now.

Prices may of fallen and found a floor by then, this oversupply now may also be reduced or absorbed somewhat. The reasons for implementing the changes may have changed by then, and the proposed changes may also be altered.

We could also have investors rush out and buy up existance dwellings before these changes are implemented or grandfathered. And then I heard someone only the other day saying maybe I should sell up before these changes.

So I would not be overly concerned at this stage. Remember, not every buyer or investor has negatively geared property. So it is not something that effect every buyer or seller.

And I could probably argue strongly both ways about how it may effect both prices and rents, but I will worry about that when and if Shorten gets in. And look at it more closely then.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

It is a “double benefit/tax rort” if it is available to everyone BUT they weren’t so included :D

That is the perspective of many :eek:.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

No - as I've already stated. The demand will only drop if you presume that the renters will become owner occupiers. Unless that happens, rental demand remains the same.

Of course, some renters will become owner occupiers - but similarly, some OOs will become renters, plus population increase and net positive migration will also create more renters.

There's always a place available for rent. The question is - how much are you prepared to pay for it?

That's exactly the point. I could move to Adelaide and actually buy a house right now - but it would make the commute to work rather painful and expensive, right?

Even moving to a cheaper suburb increases commuting and other costs - sometimes quite dramatically. We've done the sums - add in the cost of a 2nd car, additional wear and tear and tolls and parking, after school child care, etc - and it is actually significantly more expensive for us to move than it is to pay more to live locally.

If I want to stay within a reasonable distance from my wife's work and our kid's school - then I'm going to have to pay whatever price the market dictates - and so is everyone else who wants to live where they choose to live.

The equation that dictates why people choose to live where they do is incredibly complex - and not only driven by price. You cannot simply say that people will move to where the cheaper rents are - it doesn't work like that, price is only one factor.

Francesco, Eric Wu and Perthguy like this.
  7. Simon Hampel

True - except that we've been having this negative gearing debate here on PropertyChat and before that on Somersoft for literally decades now - so it's not specific to any election policy.

8. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

I was thinking I was in the negative gearing changes thread, not the benefit question one.

As for this thread and the question, have you guys had a poll on this ?

If not, perhaps put one up.

9. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

I would vote it would be a benefit based on the two reasons I believe it was reintroduced back in 1987.

10. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

If the question is being asked for an individual, which surely it is, then the counter argument that it balances out and others benefit aswell should be discarded. Because that is not the question.

Perhaps we should ask would people do this if it was not beneficial to them. And that the very reason they do this is that it is benefencial to them.

It would seem you guys are making a big deal of all this. What is the big deal about it being beneficial, or just saying yes it is, that is why I do it, so suck it up.

Because that would come with other connotations or questions , for which the same yes too bad should be given.

I am not saying I agree with it or not or who or what may happen as a result, but requarding benefit, that is how it is.

Now what is the problem with that ? I assume the further blame resulting from that for one reason or another.

11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

The argument "that's one less renter" relies on the market being static. The market is not static, it's dynamic. There are constantly people entering and exiting the market as buyers, sellers, investors and renters. Houses are being built and houses are being demolished. The market is in constant flux. Assuming any renter will become an owner occupier if the property they are renting is sold is factually wrong. It may happen in some cases but in many more it won't.

BuyersAgent likes this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't see negative gearing as a benefit. I see it as a tax outcome. At most, I would consider it a tax concession.

As you know there is a 15% tax rate for contributions to superannuation. So, someone on a 45% marginal tax rate gets a 30% tax discount on money they contribute to super. Is that a benefit or a tax concession? Is it fair or should it be abolished?

If I sell my family home I get a 100% discount on my capital gain. Is that a benefit or a tax concession? Is it fair or should it be abolished.

At the end of the day we only have negative gearing because of capital gains tax. Abolish capital gains tax and the need for negative gearing falls away. I would support capital gains tax and negative gearing being abolished.

MikeyBallarat and craigc like this.
  13. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Thanks. Nicely articulated. Those of us who are watching and participating in markets all the time know this intuitively but we don't always explain it so well. Getting the masses to fully grasp this concept is another matter and the media don't help hence many people have binary or overly simplistic understanding of this issue.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'd support that too...but common now. You don't expect our pollies to act ( as you've suggested) in a more fair manner now do you?

It's just gouge, gouge, gouge the folks who are willing to take risks for their future. Then redistribute to centrelink. Or similar.

15. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

Yes, all this is true. And I do not wish to get involved in such an argument.

It is fair to say that is a normal market and in reguards to this, yes things pretty much balance out.

This is in response to your later post.

There is no need to bring other examples into the question. We just take that question on it's own and answer that question.

Is negative gearing a benefit ?

Yes it is, that is exactly why people use it. If it was no benefit, they would not do it. They do it for exactly that reason, that it benfits them.

Would they do it if it was a disadvantage ? Or of no benefit.

Are there any negatively geared investors out there willing to admit that I negatively gear to benefit myself, and if you do not like it, then too bad.

It is not much different to saying I invest to benefit myself and too bad if you do not like it. I have investment property with the whole intensions of benefitting me the best I can. If negative gearing benefits me more then so be it. I do not make the rules. They may not be fair, they may disadvatage others to benefit others, they may push prices higher than they would.

Whether it is good or not is not the question. But there is no doubt it is a benefit. It is a discount on the tax you pay, and that is a benefit.

Joynz and LibGS like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No benefits if your asset has no growth and losses outweigh any profits. So it's a risk investors take. And in return they supply rental properties for yields which are crap, allowing many to live in areas they will never, ever be able to afford.

Anyway I personally don't really care one way or the other. I have no NG, only pay endless taxes. Just can't stand the entitled folks who think investors are getting an upper leg with NG. Such bulls**t.

MikeyBallarat, Francesco and kierank like this.
  17. Simon Hampel

If you read John's original post, you'll note that he is asserting that there is no "benefit" because negative gearing is simply a natural process of adding up all your income (from all sources) and subtracting all your expenses (again, from all sources) and then paying tax on the difference.

The corollary of this assertion then is that by stopping this natural process - as the Labor party wants to do, you're not removing a "benefit" you're applying a "penalty" by isolating salary income from investment income and forcing you to pay tax on everything - carrying forward any negative income until you sell (which may be never!).

The argument is that negative gearing isn't a "benefit" that you get - it's simply treating all income and expenses as equal, regardless of the source.

At the end of the day, it is largely an ideological argument, no matter which side of the fence you sit on.

craigc, Francesco, kierank and 3 others like this.
  18. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

Yes sackie, an investment may go bad and some could lose out. But that may not be negatively gearing as the cause or blame. And could just be a bad investment as could be the case with a non negatively geared property.

But the purpose and intension is to benefit.

The whole intension is to benefit by reducing the tax you pay on your income. If it does not work out, then that goes against the intension.

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

As Simon said, this is largely an ideological and I'll add, philosophical, debate . No point going round in circles.

Francesco, Perthguy and kierank like this.
  20. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

Labour is not really removing a benefit. If it is grandfathered then anybody that already has it will still benefit. So anybody taking advantage will have nothing removed. And in the same way, no penalty is being applied if it is grandfathered. New investors may be disadvantaged, and this would allude to the fact they were unable to 'benefit' hence the disadvantage.

And was 'natural process' the correct term.

If it is not a benefit, then everybody should have no problem with the removal of it. Do you think it should be removed ? Should it be grandfathered or just removed altogether for both past and present investors?

Is it really fair for new investors while allowing older investors to continue to benefit by this grandfathering process?

The whole thing is a mess, being more a last ditch, desperate, illthought process in order to win votes. Will it work ??? I do not know, but it is certainly possible.