NSW Why are these Leppington houses relatively cheap? Trustworthy builders?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Artoria, 14th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Artoria

Artoria Member

I was looking at buying a house in Leppington as a FHB, living in it for 6 months and renting it out afterwards. In particular, I'm aiming to look for high capital growth and/or a nice source of revenue when leasing (is it impossible to ask for both? I'm not too sure, clarity here would be appreciated). I found these homes that look decent; good land size, 3 bedrooms, etc., the only issue that I found at a quick glance are the builders (couldn't find much details on them) and the lack of landscaping on the front yard (not sure how important this is).

1. Lot 134 The Outlook Estate, Leppington NSW 2179 | Domain
    2. Lot 136 The Outlook Estate, Leppington NSW 2179 | Domain
    3. Lot 137 The Outlook Estate, Leppington NSW 2179 | Domain

Any ventures as to why they're so cheap? Unless they aren't and they're genuinely just fairly priced and I'm just bad at estimating prices haha!

I guess another question that I had was: how do you know whether or not to trust a builder for a new home, particularly one that doesn't seem like there's a lot of history behind them (the one that I'm referring to in particular is CSB homes)? I know there's plenty of horror stories regarding bad builders, and I'd like to avoid the white hairs that'd come out of that. Reviews online can be very easily manipulated by owners posting up fake reviews, so I tend to be wary of them. Would you typically just gamble it, or is there some sort of research that you do beforehand?

Thank you in advance - very new to property investment, so any advice would be appreciated. :)

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

High capital growth and or high rent. In a new outer suburb with hundreds of identical properties.

a few questions.
    Your reasons for these expectations are....?
    Cheap compared to what? What alternatives around the same price range have you looked at?
    Who are the potential renters for these?
    Do you think its a good idea to select a property because of the grants you get?
    Would you be looking at these properties if you didnt get the grants?
    Do you know the impact on your depreciation deductions if you live in it first?

if sydney booms you might make money, but could you have made more elsewhere? What are the long term drivers?

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2021
    Artoria likes this.
  3. Artoria

Artoria Member

Thank you for giving me some food for thought, I'll be sure to reflect on these questions. Do you have any advice with regards to builders? It's totally fine if you don't :)

4. Spad

Spad Well-Known Member

Those houses are tiny and the land is also very small.
    Have you looked at these places in person?

5. Artoria

Artoria Member

Hey Spad!

I haven't had the chance to look at these places in person, but I was under the impression that 300-350m2 for <$750k in Leppington was an okay equivalent. Do you have any sort of benchmark for things like this? I'm really unfamiliar with how to calculate the best bang-for-your-buck when it comes to houses, only thing I've been doing is looking at historical sale prices and trends.

6. rksing

rksing Well-Known Member

Agree small lots and small houses. @Artoria you may be better off seeing houses like this in person. Im not even sure if the subdivision for these lots have been registered yet (could be wrong)? In which case you will have to wait for the land to be registered before build can commence....

7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I reckon it'd be worthwhile of further investigation.
    There's a train station, schools and shops not far away.

You'd need to hold it for a few years, and the builder would need to check out...but honestly - it doesn't look too bad. You could do a lot worse as a FHB.