Why are 'student accommodation' places out of bounds for regular residents?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Dave3214, 8th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why places that are marketed as student accommodation are that alone. Is there an actual law that prevents a regular single resident from living in such a place? Might be a dumb question, but given they often are very cheap price-wise by unit standards, and rents are affordable, i have always wondered if there is a government statute that prohibits a non student living in such a building.

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Court orders may prevent some people from coming within 100 metres of such places.

I suppose also if you weren't a student and tried to move in you'd be called a toolie. Sort of like Schoolies on the Gold Coast.

Dave3214 and Scott No Mates like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Hi my name is Stu Dent (Arthur Dent's nephew).

Accommodation which is specifically designed for me is usually more expensive as it comes fully furnished and has a few added extras eg shared lounge room/common areas/wifi/power/water when compared to unfurnished studios.

Restrictions only apply by management.

datto and Dave3214 like this.
  4. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Cheers, just always wondered that's all. Sometimes they are sold for prices around $150K....But i know they are pretty small and probably have some shared facilities.

5. CK_Invest

CK_Invest Well-Known Member

and you can bet the capital growth is poor

6. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Some allow occupation by the owner - some don't. The ones that don't are very hard to finance for that exact reason.

7. is_don_is_good

is_don_is_good Well-Known Member

It's mostly bull----. Hang around near the entrance of one in Melb cbd and you'll see all sorts come out. Many of the rooms have bunk bed setups in each room and people sleep on mattresses in the living area at night. This is from the student housing place on Swanston St opposite the library
    Girls room share 135/w | Roomshare | Gumtree Australia Melbourne City - Melbourne CBD | 1151634581

Backpackers, suits, old people, there's all sorts in there. Reception couldn't care less

Dave3214 likes this.
  8. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

I am not 100% sure, but probably so that they won't be violating the requirement for their rental assistance.