VIC Who's resposibilty to fix?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by raj_27, 6th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

Buddy, fix it and move on with life.
    I've been there and it's not worth the hassle. You'll have to take time off work to go to tribunal while PMs just get paid to be there.

However if you do decide to dispute it, make sure you lodge for your bond return before them. If you do so, then the onus will be on the owner if they want to take you to the tribunal.

R.C. and Michael Mitchell like this.
  2. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Why would the tenent have to pay for it to be fixed and repainted, when clearly the positiong of the towel ring is in the wrong place and impedes on the opening and closing of the door.

raj_27 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  3. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Why didn't you complain about the position of it prior to your son breaking it? If I was the landlord, I'd expect you to pay also. You rented the property with it as it is. If you think it should be moved and so do they then come to a split payment option to move it and repair.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. raj_27

raj_27 Well-Known Member

I knew the ring didn’t spin and had to manually push to get it back to position, but what I didn’t know was it would hit the door. I thought reporting the ring doesn’t spin in the hole would have been silly.

I can definitely tell you the PM is not the take extra step type. I have two very good PMs managing my properties, if this had happened and was reported to me as landlord, I wold have said for couple of hundred don’t even ask me fix it.

We moved out of family house last year to find out how it’s like to stay in inner city and rent. Staying in inner-city close to work lifestyle excellent, renting on the other hand nightmare. In a year many bits and pieces of problems. Backyard retractable shade cloth tore due to age. when reported in beginning of spring took them to early winter (6 moths) to fix when it was not required. Took them months to repair the lock on the backdoor, got locked out one time too. Its hard to know whether its LL or PM. I have all these communication on my email as record, if I have to go through hassle getting my bond money back, I will be hitting them with compensation calim.

5. raj_27

raj_27 Well-Known Member

I like to,but they dont want me to. They want their own trademan come quote and fix. them put the ring back exacly where it was.

6. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Don't quote me on this but I doubt they could force you to use a particular tradie. As long as it done in the condition that you found it in, allowing for reasonable wear and tear, it should be fine. If you plan on getting it fixed, just do it. If there's no existing damage, there's no issue. However if the work done is not up to scratch, you'll have

7. raj_27

raj_27 Well-Known Member

I knew the ring didn’t spin and had to manually push to get it back to position, but what I didn’t know was it would hit the door. I thought reporting the ring doesn’t spin in the hole would have been silly.

They were telling all the ******** that the LL lived in there they had no problem etc etc.
    I told them i know the actual truth that LL never lived here and caught them out lieing and now all comuunication stopped.

Last edited by a moderator: 9th Aug, 2019
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So it was second hand, the LL wore it out and the PM didn't note it on the inspection report because they hadn't hung a towel on it, gone to the toilet or washed their hands. Eeeek!!!! :oops:

Last edited by a moderator: 9th Aug, 2019
  9. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

OP, you have probably spent more time posting here than it would take to patch it up.
    PM & LL may not be happy but they`re not going to spend $70+ PH to argue it at tribunal.
    How much is your time worth?

Usually I would take the LL`s side, but after having the same issue with a toilet roll holder, that was not in a vulnerable location, know the LL will just suck it up. Tenants kid broke the roll holder that was also part of a matching set of towel rings etc. The tenant just got one of those cheap & nasty stick on ones from Bunnys to cover it up. PM didn`t notice but I did and clearly wasn`t happy. PM said "It would be classed as wear & tear anyway and there is still a roll holder. If we claim too much from bond and tenant objects it will cost much more than it is worth. Just forget it"
    I have and it is still there 2 or 3 tenants later.

Too bad you now made PM aware of it. Little chance they would have noticed it out of 100+ properties and less chance they even have a recent picture. Realistically though, they will not go to tribunal or TICA for such a trivial thing. Move out and move on.

Stoffo and Michael Mitchell like this.
  10. raj_27

raj_27 Well-Known Member

That's the plan. Last couple of mesages was to get my fustartion out.

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Stupid place to have it, but your the ones who damaged it....

Why try and pass off responsibility.....who would you be asking to pay for it if you owned the place...or the bank rather...

raj_27 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  12. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Your definitely right about it being in stupid spot.
    No wonder we struggle to build high rise apartments with such poor quality or wrap them in flammable cladding.
    We cant even do the real simple stuff.

raj_27 likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia