Who's debt is it?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by gman65, 11th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Purchased a ppor a few months ago..

Selling agency passed on my details :rolleyes: to a tradie who is owned some money for a previous job done last year. This was several months before I signed the contract to purchase.

I pretty much see the debt as lying with the person who incurred the debt (previous owner) so has nothing to do with me? Or do I purchase the debts of the property also?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Nice of the agency to breach your privacy.

Just tell the tradie that you are not the person they contracted with.

Stoffo and gman65 like this.
  3. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Unless it was listed on the title at time of purchase then it is unlikely that you can be pursued for the debt. Get legal advice if pushed for the debt. In the mean time, I would tell the tradie to pursue the previous owner and contact the real estate agent for the details and see what happens.

4. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Yes, I did think that, especially considering they would have known when the property was sold I don't see why they passed on my details (or email in this case).

I was just about to hit the send button with something along those lines, just wanted a basic check that there wasn't something I wasn't aware of.

Well it's not a large amount, but that's not really the point. Yep, up the realestate agent and the tradie to sort out it sounds like.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is there any penalty or remedy available for breach of privacy when it goes against the agency's privacy policy? (I've lose count of the number of times that some ****wit has cc'd email addresses rather than bcc'd including council & government departments)

6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

After sending a succinct email, I would get the top dog on the phone and let him/her know about this. And I don't mean the property manager.
    Dumb is no excuse.

158 and wylie like this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.