NSW Who wished they purchased in Sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MTR, 24th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

are you sure you are not missing something, most are focusing on Brisbane and ignoring the markets that are actually starting to boom now/today or still have steam, and the reason is clear, Brisbane always starts a boom cycle after Sydney and Melb, but this has not happened yet.

Parts of Melb are still a good buy and from evidence provided Hobart and inner city only is actually tightening the market is rising. Some quick gains could be made, low entry level sort of, buy 2 if you can, sell 1 keep 1 prior to peak. Do you own homework.

2. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I thought you might say that. Yes Melbourne will slow down later than Sydney.
    I won't be buying again for at least a few years. No money. But after some gains in Brisbane too when that cycle is complete.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Looks like the perfect forum for you Whitecat to discuss your imaginary BN north/south divide.:D
    The Brisbane Threat - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

RetireRich101 and Whitecat like this.
  4. Whitecat

Thanks I will create a profile. It's not imaginery its a serious matter

HUGH72 likes this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

And my own... Sydneysiders according to other Aussie Investors sketch-1471043556321.png

ej89, Zoolander, Eric Wu and 5 others like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

LOL, which one are you????

7. Gockie

I think i'm at the border of "Bloody Rich Fellas and Felladies", "Lucky Bogans" and "Lucky *******s" ;)

MTR likes this.
  8. House

House Well-Known Member

Could have bought outright in St Mary's about 5 years ago so was doing the research and it was all looking good but started listening to the property doomsayers and second guessed myself... Talk about opportunity cost! :mad:

samiam, Frazz and Property Twins like this.
  9. Nightowl

Nightowl Well-Known Member

Oops yes typo I meant $515k.

10. Gockie

Next time... Ask the forumites :)

11. House

House Well-Known Member

Found them too late but thankfully I've learned enough here that there won't be a next time :D

samiam and Gockie like this.
  12. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Same here :(:(

13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I bought in 2011, after moving to NSW :D (up $500k<5yrs)

There are times NOW where I wish I'd bought a cheaper PPOR and an IP back then....:oops:

But instead I am now using the equity in my PPOR to invest.;)
    20/20 hindsight I guess:rolleyes:
    Building capital first, to then use to invest, I do like the security of the "buffer" against defaulting/devaluation (having so much equity in PPOR).
    Trying to improve serviceability to secure the loan for the OTP IP2 next year :cool:
    Still, am having an OMG moment after my first tenant gave notice this week :(

Swings and roundabouts
    ( If you are not in the game, you are not going forward ! No matter the suburb....)

MTR likes this.
  14. Dwalsh

Dwalsh Well-Known Member

I bought two properties in Sydney one in 2011 one in 2012. I wished I was older to buy more property as I was only 20 at the time and ran out of funds. But not a bad return off 24k of my own money that I saved back then and turned it into 413k of equity. Then I bought 3 properties in Brisi in 2014, if I had of known I would have bought them in Sydney as well. Oh well live and learn, let's hope Brisi does well now

15. Whitecat

I believe the conditions are in place with this given the infrastructure investment. Timeframe I don't know. Could be a few years. But the mega scale of the development going in, combined with the fact that it is face-changing for Brisbane, quite transformational will be a significant driver of investment. I do believe in 'if you build it they will come' is applicable here. In particular housing close to the city. With Queens Wharf in place plus 300 George, plus cross river rail, plus Howard Smith wharves. Plus the fact that Brisbane is already pretty trendy compared to before, make it an attractive proposition for southern migrants. Look at the amenity someone can unlock within walking distance to the cbd/southbank/gardens/Queens wharf for $1m. You cannot get that in Sydney/Melbourne. You are talking 3 times the cost for a walking distance house on land for not necessarily 3 times the amenity.
    The infrastructure investment I see as a confirmed driver for decent growth. What will determine the extent of larger growth (ie. what could be called 'boom' growth) will be the economy - which is looking optimistic, but still needs some changes

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

someone posted Graceville Brisbane booming, had a quick look, lots of under offers, mmmm...am I right/wrong inner city desirable tightly held areas moving.?

Whitecat likes this.
  17. Whitecat

I don't know too much about what graceville is doing however it's not considered inner city. Inner city in Brisbane means you can walk or catch a very short bus/train ride.
    Graceville is pretty accessible though and Indooroopilly is a very nice area just across the bridge plus Graceville is near the river and big mansiony things that have water access would be quite sought after because all you need to do is get in your boat and you are out in Moreton Bay
    Inner city walking distance areas boomed the last couple of years and continue to be a tight market. Demand exceeds supply for houses. Anything tidy under $1m attracts strong interest. I've been monitoring that market carefully. People want to live close to the now important cbd (10 years ago not such a widespread driver) but they don't want a unit.
    Areas such as paddington/milton, west end, New farm are very strong. Only if a property is asking a stupid price then it won't sell. Having said that I've seen some pretty stupid prices people want the location and see it is a good long term ppor in a lot of cases and are trying to get in sooner rather than later.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It gets a bit floody there too, short memories.
    And it's still a fair way out from being inner city as @Whitecat mentioned. It's practically Rocklea ;)

19. Gockie

Looking back.... Love yah, Sydney boom!!
    Pretty much every property was gaining $1000+ per week in equity for a few years without having to lift a finger...

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2017
    Property Twins, Stoffo and Zoolander like this.
  20. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

...and for those who didn't purchase Sydney, would also be lifting the finger.

WattleIdo likes this.