Who will pay sydney water charges? Moved to new place

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by James0360, 2nd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. James0360

James0360 New Member

so i just bought a property and moved in 4 weeks ago. Lawyers did the section 66 certificate where it had the amount around $200. I received the bill from sydney water today which is around $750

Clearly that is an oversight from the lawyer as the owners haven't paid the previous dues.
    how can i get the previous owner to pay the difference?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Was that adjusted in the settlement figures?

3. James0360

James0360 New Member

yep. it was adjusted in settlement figures & i have a cheque of $200 waiting for sydney waters.

4. blackenator

blackenator Well-Known Member

If the oversight is with the solicitor then you need to chase them up for it. Once settlement occurs on the property you are eligible for the debt from that date onward. The solicitor is supposed to make sure that water (Sydney) is adjusted for. I know cause I have the inside scoop :)

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Check how the bill is calculated. Sometimes the fixed charges are in advance while the usage is in arrears.
    Marg

6. James0360

James0360 New Member

The bill just says - 'Amount Overdue' - i am going to ask Sydney Waters for the break down tomorrow.

7. Dan L

Dan L Well-Known Member

Contact your solicitor. Obligations regarding adjustments continue after settlement of the Contract which means that the solicitor should and will chase rates from the sellers through the sellers solicitor/conveyancer as the seller is still liable for the outstanding amount, notwithstanding that the contract has been completed. If the seller doesn't pay within a reasonable time, you should ask your solicitor who will.

8. blackenator

The amount overdue will the water usage date that overlapped with your settlement date. I am sure when you call the contact Sydney Water they will be able to send you a breakdown of the charges that you can forward onto your solicitor if needed

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

10. James0360

James0360 New Member

thanks guys. Solicitor took average calculation based on previous quarter bill. It seems the owner just used 3 times more water than previous quarter.
    Can i still request the previous owner to pay the difference?

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Should Have arranged for a final water meter reading then the service charge is split between purchaser and vendor.

12. blackenator

Sydney water wont help with this its best to talk to your solicitor and see what they say

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe get a plumber to pressure test the system for a h/pressure leak somewhere,plus from the legal side your team should have covered this prior too settlement..