Who to do Drawing of PPOR with attached Granny Flat

Discussion in 'Development' started by Trimadmen, 4th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Trimadmen

Trimadmen Member

Mid last year was doing the Homeworld thing, nothing really ticked all the boxes and I went down the avenue of getting one of these project builders to draw me up our forever house from my sketched up plan I had drawn up in photoshop.

Anyways their drawing came back, site was surveyed, soil testing done and tender came back within budget...

On a previous post someone mentioned granny flat to put my son in and I replied If I built a granny flat I would have an actually granny who would love to move in... Long story short, She's pumped.

So back to the drawing board... well in my case photoshop and anyone who has watched Happy Gilmore, I love the part he says "Happy learnt how to putt" I have learnt how to use a rule in the program which gives me a very accurate may of measuring room sizes/areas etc. and now I have a completely new design with a 60sq/m fully self contained attached granny flat with it's own 27 sq/m of private sunny open space behind the building line, and it is getting pretty close to being finished.

First time around I paid the building company 1k to draw it up, which limited me to them only as I signed a copy of my drawing over to them when I paid them to draw up custom design.

I also paid them to arrange the site survey and Soil Testing Geotech Report etc. I requested a copy of both document and got emailed a PDF copy of each document.

Before I fire it off to same builder again (which I am happy to do) to draw it up properly, my question is should I get someone else to do the drawing up so I can approach some other builders?

Also if I ask some other builders for an estimate am I allowed to forward them a copy of the Site Survey and Soil testing reports?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Site survey & soil tests should be fine provided you have paid the builder or contractor for the work.

Try airtasker type sites for someone to document your design. That way you will own it.

3. Trimadmen

Trimadmen Member

OK I've had a quick look at airtasker, what type of service should I be looking for?

My search results are returning people who work on designing Microsoft Word Documents.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You are probably looking for a draftsman/draftsperson/architectural designer - they go by a variety of terms but they are all people who have Tafe diplomas in drafting and can convert your plan into CAD or other commonly used software so that it has elevations, specifications and can be quoted on.

In general if you give a builder a design though and they draw it up you may actually still own the copyright on the design AFAIK House Plans & Copyright

However what I would be suggesting at this stage is also to get the person to give some design input on your design. They design for a living and may have some good ideas on functionality, design, flow and economical layouts.

Scott No Mates and Trimadmen like this.
  5. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Had a quick read, and it states, unless permission to use the plans drawn by the architect/draftsperson is agreed upon, then the draft is copyrighted by the person who drew it.
    If you submitted sketches, and asked the architect to design to those sketches, you own part copyright in the plans, and the architect can't onsell your ideas.

Tl;Dr you can't use plans drawn by a builder unless they say so, even using your own ideas.

6. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

The author of the work (drawing/design) owns the copyright. You design it, you own it.
    If a builder draws something up for you they will own the copyright. I've seen building contracts in recent times where the contract includes a clause vesting the copyright in the builder. Not a good thing as it looks the builder in and prevents other builders from quoting etc. If you are planning to shop around for cost estimates it's preferable to have your own drawings prepared. Contact a local drafter rather than use the builder.
    Freelancer is an alternative to Airtasker - but generally it's difficult to find good/skilled people