Who to ask for rough Reno estimate BEFORE buying ?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ozgirl, 1st Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Member

Hello property chat crew! Hoping you have some words of advice...I'm looking at buying a Californian bungalow in Melbourne's west Brunswick and adding a two storey addition at the rear ( preserving the heritage-protected facade and front rooms). In addition to the property purchase price, I have a reno budget of about $500k. My question is, who can I consult to find out if this is a realistic figure BEFORE making an offer on the house. ( BTW, the building inspection report found nothing unusual, given the age of the building). Would design/build companies provide a rough cost estimate pre-purchase? Many advertise free quotes - but that's for a property you already own, not sure same would apply for something this speculative....any tips you may have much appreciated!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for if it's free.

It may be worth having a chat with a quantity surveyor.

3. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Member

Thanks Scott no Mates, happy to pay a reasonable fee for quality advice...just looking for guidance on who to approach. Will put in a few calls to quantity surveyor in that case. Thanks again!

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

QS is good. Also have a chat to a few builders or reno companies. You can make a list of works you would like done. Provide photos of the place you want to buy. Add in some for contingency.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Ozgirl

Are you asking about the reno or the second floor extension?

The Y-man

6. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Member

Hi Y-man, it will include some renovation, plus a two storey extension added at the rear of the property. Cheers

7. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Member

Thanks, Sackie.

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ok..... we don't call adding 2 storey extension a reno...... it's well.....an "extension".....

The Y-man

Joynz likes this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would start by checking if a two storey extension would be acceptable in the area - ask council. You might be restricted in the land area that can be built on etc.

In a heritage area, there may be other special requirements for design (re. visible volume/form etc) in addition to preserving the front.

Then ask a few builders for a general idea of cost. What would the extension include?

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Check the economics carefully. Consider time frames, delays, approvals and contingencies. Even then, something will often go wrong.

Unless the property is unique, you may consider looking for an existing property that better meets your needs.

11. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Member

Thanks, Joynz, I've been in touch with the council. The second story extension at the rear is acceptable, and a couple other properties on the same block (all covered by the same heritage overlay) have the same already done. We are looking at gutting the kitchen/ bathroom and laundry plus demolishing a sunroom on the ground floor, adding a dining/living area extension at the rear, then adding a rear second-floor addition with a master bedroom/ensuite, plus a 'parents retreat' which will actually be used as a work space (could be the landing by the stairs as long as it will fit a large desk) . The block is - 460m - and has easy rear access for builders with space for a couple of vehicles to park on the property, as well as an old shed/garage made of corrugated iron and wood when they could potentially store tools etc. Thanks!

12. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Member

Thanks Marg4000. Yes, definitely would prefer the route you mention, but unfortunately there's very little stock available in this area...almost no vacant land to build new, and we're limited in terms of other potential locations, as my two kids both have disabilities and we need to stay close to the particular school they attend. But I am definitely keeping my eye out for alternatives that would avoid the need for such a big project. And like you said, trying to collect as much info as possible on how much it would cost...

Marg4000 likes this.
  13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

With a $500K Reno budget on top of the purchase price, it may be worth considering buying the cheapest property you can find in your chosen area, knock down and rebuild?

craigc and Archaon like this.