Entertainment & Music Who still owns any Music CD?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Pumpkin, 12th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Lol I still have all my cassette tapes from when I was a kid, they were nicely stored at my folks' large house in my hometown with my CD and book collection. After moved cross three different continents in the past decade, I have develop a strategy of letting my parents deal with my hoarding issue. ;p

Pumpkin likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You have either: A) too much space, or B) not enough CDs! :p

As you approach the 1,000 CD mark, you really start to have to manage the clutter - especially if you don't have much storage space like us.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Or C) You don't have enough books.

I have a large set of drawers which holds CDs, another for DVDs.

It would take a lot of sets of drawers to hold my books, even after frequent attempts to declutter over the years. I probably still have around 20% of the books I've ever bought.

Pumpkin likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

My father is a retired school teacher and librarian (and also an author). His house has many many boxes of books, accumulated over the years. He has a stack of books-in-progress (ie started reading but not yet finished) that is literally over 1m high.

Personally, I stopped buying hard copy books a few years back when we filled up every bookshelf and had no more room for extra shelving or for more boxes of books (similar problem to the CDs and DVDs!)

I now only buy eBooks - storage is no longer an issue and I can buy a new one at 2am when I finish the one I was reading but still can't get to sleep!

Pumpkin, geoffw and qak like this.
  5. geoffw

I hardly ever buy hard copy books now. After many years, I can now actually walk past a bookshop without going in.

I agree about the convenience of buying an ebook. It's also much easier to find out if a book is good or not, between Goodreads and vendors' reviews.

While storage of books is an issue, I'm not the member of the family who complains about the storage space used by books ;-)

Pumpkin likes this.
  6. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

You didnt buy low, then sell high? :p

7. Pumpkin

Ok, will remember you when we organise a karaoke session for PC !

8. Pumpkin

Wow, you must be very strong. And those young girls are lucky, and have good taste too. Good on them!

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Mar, 2018
    Dan Donoghue likes this.
  9. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

It was lots of boxes..... So so many boxes (McDonalds french fry boxes :))

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Mar, 2018
    Pumpkin likes this.
  10. Pumpkin

Agree. I am a very organised person, typical Accountant, structured and rigid :p
    My CDs are stacked nicely in their respective covers, by genre mainly. Love buying Box Sets when overseas. Makes storing so much easier.
    At one stage they are placed next to my encyclopedia. Hehe it pleases me a lot.

11. Pumpkin

I have not tried Spotify or any of this digital collection because firstly I am not willing to invest time in "discovering" music. Friends spend hours building a Playlist. I'd prefer it served in silver platter (CDs). Then the storage problem. Perhaps I have OCD or ACDC... I must have them nicely categorised and classified for easy retrieving. Cant stand Dog's breakfast.
    Going to Sunday Markets and going thru the old CDs is interesting. Glad I can resist the urge to buy.... Well, not yet.

12. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

@Dan Donoghue, I've only recently unearthed my video game collection - mum did a big clear up at home and found my Atari, Sega Master System and Megadrive, N64, PS1 and Xbox.
    By the sounds of it, I may have to start doing hot laps on curbside clean up days - I need a few new games!! :)

On a side note for the OP - how good are The Scorpions! Read this post and jumped on YouTube - currently listening to Crazy World, full album.

Pumpkin and Dan Donoghue like this.
  13. Dan Donoghue

Oh man soooooo jealous, Master System and Megadrive were prob my faves :). I still have an XBox (original not 360 or one) debug kit, it was designed for press and allowed you to run pre release games :). I don't use it anymore, it's just a nice piece of my past :).

Icarus likes this.
  14. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I use free Spotify on my phone. Obviously it does cost streaming (internet data). It works like the radio, just select the type of music you want to listen to, and click on it and you are done.

Lately been listening to stand up comedians, just select a comedian I like they have and it creates the play list. Down, or up vote the track and it recalibrates selection for me. It requires listening to a few ads, or paying a little, but little time and effort on my part. Really easy and fun.

My ear phones keep dying after a few months though, beginning to annoy me!

Pumpkin and geoffw like this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I was just bemoaning the other night how we turfed the ATARI 2600 complete with cartridges like Donkey Kong, Frogger, Space Invaders...

The Y-man

Dan Donoghue and Icarus like this.
  16. geoffw

I have paid Google Music (it has benefits for Youtube), but I do like the Spotify play lists.

17. Dan Donoghue

You do know for about a hundred bucks you can build a retropie device which plays all games from Atari 2600 right through to Playstation 1 right?

Give me a yell if you want to know more :).

Icarus, The Y-man and charttv like this.
  18. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I thought about that, it does look good. :)

19. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

We have about 80 odd and they are stashed in boxes in the kitchen on a high shelf. Kids get a hold of them every know and then and break out some 90s and early 2000s tunes. Fun to watch them dance to it.

Pumpkin likes this.
  20. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Still buy CD's myself, plus have some really rare ones worth a bit of coin now. I usually rip them to mp3 and load onto car HDD or google music to listen on my phone.

Pumpkin likes this.