who should keep the original copy of the contract in VIC

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by yuefu, 11th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. yuefu

yuefu Member

Hi there,my friend just bought a commericial property, and she wants the original copy of the contract, but the agent just gave her the copy of the contract(no original signature).

I checked the <estate agent act 1980>, section 53, "copy of contract etc. to be delivered to person signing", but it doesn't mention if the "copy of contract" is original, can anyone help me to find any law/regulation claiming the buyer should keep the original copy?

Thank you.

Oliver

2. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

These days it's mostly done via email so there'd be a print and scan in between each signature. So you wouldn't have a piece of paper with the original pen ink from both parties in many situations these days.

Simon Moore and Lil Skater like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Usually the solicitor gets to see the signed copy. I can't say that I have ever bothered to chase it down as I don't need the original and it is in the hands of the solicitor.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

This issue is one for your solicitor. That is the process of exchanging contracts. Arguably the contents need checking to a greater degree than determining a contract is signed.

5. yuefu

yuefu Member

solicitor will help for settlement, not for signing the contract. At the moment, she just signed the contract , and she just want the original copy of the contract, I think it's very reasonable it's the law for the agent to provide the signing copy .

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You need the original contract if there is an exchange. The agent should have it.

7. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

If there is only one original contract it would usually go to the buyer (or their solicitor if represented) in Qld but it may be different in VIC.