Cars & Motorbikes Who self insures their car? (~20k worth)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by FinnMcCool, 18th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

Sorry was referring to 3rd Party Property Damage, ie I crash into a power pole or a Maserati they are fixed under the policy but not my car.

I did look at 3rd Party Fire & Theft however the limit is $10,000, if the car is worth say $15-20k you are seriously underinsured and the insurer will either not pay out or pro-rata the payout (car worth $20k, insurer will only pay out 50% of loss up to $5k).

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I take up 3rd Party + Property Damage on older vehicles that only I drive.
    It's not the risk not to be covered in case i smash into @Ace in the Hole or @chylld 's cars

@Ace in the Hole - I also fully insure any newer cars that aren't solely driven by me. My father in law has reversed into other people while driving car. Kind of glad I had insurance in that situation.

FinnMcCool and chylld like this.
  3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

If someone who can't afford 3rd party property rear-ends either of these, they're gonna have a bad time

[​IMG]

Perthguy and neK like this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree. I understand the argument, 'but I am a good driver, I am a safe driver'. I am too. I have been driving for 30 years (ouch!) and never been in an accident. However, I always have 3rd party property insurance. It's a very basic risk assessment:

Risk: low (I am a safe driver)
    Consequences: severe (If I accidentally crash an expensive car)
    Risk mitigation: spend a few hundred a year on 3rd party property insurance.

Also SANF.

FinnMcCool likes this.
  5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Driving is super risky.

Someone once told me that one in 10 drivers are an idiot and every now and agan we're that idiot....It's part of being human...

FinnMcCool likes this.
  6. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

The older I get, the better I was.

7. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

The other option is to reduce the premium substantially for comprehensive insurance by increasing the excess. Might need to shop around.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I look at it this way, if it is comprehensively insured (even if it is expensive & the payout is not massive if the car is written off), then the little that the insurance pays will go someway towards getting a replacement car. It will never compensate or replace the car which you have lost but will ease the pain in the hip pocket (slightly).

9. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Also there's the point that even if you are the worlds best drive, there can be actual accidents (as opposed to driver negligence) eg a component in your car fails, you have a medical issue, etc

The other point being that if you are involved in a situation where you are not at fault, but you are liable (eg car rear ends you, pushes you into car in front - while you will be paid by the car behind, the car in front will be making a claim on you) having a insurer to deal with that admin makes things significantly easier.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

What's the excess for the full comp, have you considered and bigger excess to reduce the premium? What vehicle do you have, sounds far more expensive than I have ever paid though I don't drive an import.

Tom Rivera likes this.