Who said Owners Corp meetings are boring?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by peastman, 24th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. peastman

peastman Well-Known Member

Just had the best owners corp meeting ever.

Held at a neighbours unit in Glenelg S.A. it was attended by the 5 owners and strata manager.
    The host provided cheese, dip and crackers while one of the owners who also owns a winery bought along 4 bottles of his finest. We polished it all off, had the meeting then decided to walk along the Glenelg foreshore to Jetty Rd for a Thai meal. Out came another 2 bottles of wine.
    Just as well I booked a nearby hotel room.

A very pleasant meeting.

Russ, Hodge, TheGreenLeaf and 9 others like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Were there anything in the meeting minutes apart from the food, wine and thai meal?

I'm kidding :)
    Lucky you. Ours is boring.

Jennifer Duke likes this.
  3. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

I've made some good friends being on body corporate executive committees. At Christmas our body corporate manager always brings along a bottle of champagne and nibbles.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

And 100k committed in spending thanks to a few bottles of plonk :)

albanga likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I once attended an AGM in a neighbouring unit and there was a billy on the coffee table.

The owner had forgotten to put it away lol...he picked it up and threw it the bin and mumbled that it belonged to his son lol.

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun. Do any of them live there?
    Hope they weren't taking you for a ride.

7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

What? And the owner didn't even reboil it and offer the other owners a cuppa?

;)

Russ and Blacky like this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No. He didn't even offer any cookies :)

Russ, Ted Varrick and Blacky like this.
  9. dabbler

Did you pour yourself a cuppa dat's ? lol..... or did you go to the bin later ?

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I couldn't keep my eyes off the bin for the duration of the meeting.

He ushered me out after I moved a motion that we mull up.

Azazel and Raydar like this.
  11. peastman

Two units owner occupied, mine rented and the two others use as weekend holiday home. A working bee around the property has been organized and my tenants are keen to get there hands dirty. No doubt more wine will be involved.

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just wondering. How much would it cost to buy a "weekend holiday home" in your strata?

13. peastman

About $500k ish

14. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

When I clicked on this thread I was expecting verbal abuse and punch up's. Can't say I'm disappointed though :)

Westminster likes this.
  15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Why can't all strata plans be like this. So more harmonious and things get done :)

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Ours is like this one except for the Thai. I'll put it on the agenda for next Weekend.

peastman likes this.
  17. inspiredbyprop

inspiredbyprop Well-Known Member

Yea totally agree - everyone should have stress-free and productive meetings.

Just a quick question: if the builder/developer has a unit/office in the building, is the developer allowed to be in the body corporate/executive committee? I hope I didn't sabotage this thread OP, let me know if I should create a new thread.

I know the first strata manager was appointed by the developer when the building was first made ready to occupy. But in this scenario, let's assume the strata manager has been replaced (not appointed by the developer).

Pros:
    - In the warranty period, developer can help to resolve issues more promptly
    - Developer has a unit/office in the building which means they are paying strata and would have the same interest as other owners e.g. keeping the building in a good condition

Cons:
    - Developer may have vested interest in covering up issues or influencing the strata manager to not go against the developer
    - Strata manager is more cautious when dealing with body corporate. Perhaps, not raising the obvious that will cause conflicts with the developer.

My thinking is that developers should not be allowed to join the executive committee who would deal with more important issues. e.g. claiming defects against the developer etc.
    But as a general member in the body corporate should be ok, they have the same rights as other owners.

18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

This one of many reasons why i don't like off the plan units.
    The strata manager is usually appointed by the developer.
    The strata is amazingly low for what the complex offers (eg $500 p/q when other similar size buildings are $1200 p/q).
    The strata is set deliberately low to attract people in, then once the developer has sold out, boom! the strata goes up.

19. dabbler

Go to Bankstown/Lakemba, they hand out a weapon of choice on arrival - mainly for when the manager does something you do not like.

At one strata block, there was always a guy posing as an owner, he used to get to vote prior, he was the local drug user/seller, he had them all bluffed, even had some common property for his exclusive use, the cheeky ******* did not even pay rent !

20. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Lucky you. I have sat through many that where either dull........or eventful because the longest owning old biddy didn't like noise make by kids, cars, pets, anything that breathed.

I sat through many meetings demanding that an owner throw out his tenant because they had young excitable children.