Who Pays for Replacing Locks and Replacing/Reprogramming Remotes?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by MindMaster, 5th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MindMaster

MindMaster Well-Known Member

I've just received a bill of $290 for the cost of replacing locks and replacing/ reprogramming remotes at one of my Melbourne IPs and I'm not sure if I should pay it.

Recently a tenant had thieves break into their car, steal the remotes then enter the house where a set of spare house keys (along with a lot of other stuff) was stolen. The tenants are fine after a horrible experience and now the locks have been replaced and remotes replaced and reprogrammed.

I would have thought the tenants were responsible for keys and remotes and any costs related to their loss or theft. The PM thinks differently though so I'm really not sure.

Thanks.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If the locks were working then it's up to the tenant if they feel insecure in the property. They may elect to break the lease. Put it back to the agent.

3. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Did the tenants have insurance and make a claim? If so, I would think the cost should be covered in that claim.

4. GapPhantom

GapPhantom Active Member

Surely that's a tenants responsibility... You supplied a "reasonably" secure property!

I have just had the locks replaced throughout my IP after the tenants failed to hand back all the keys, and what they did hand back included multiple copies as it's now evident they've had more people staying than were listed... My PM has pushed this back to the tenant as their cost, $363, to be taken from the bond!

Who organised/requested for the locks to be changed?