Who owns the material we read?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Barny, 19th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It really depends on the circumstances.

I enjoy operating this site and have made very strong friendships with many people I have gotten to know through PropertyChat and Somersoft in the 15 years I've been involved with them.

On the assumption that the sum involved was justifiable based on the revenue generated - I would then assume that I was earning good money from the site, and cashflow is a very useful thing to have ... especially if I'm still enjoying operating the business.

At this point, I don't have a specific exit plan which involves selling out to a large publisher. I'm not a serial entrepreneur who builds something and then offloads it so I can start something new - I make a long term commitment to things.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Generally how these things work is that the site becomes a part of the purchasers portfolio of web properties (they usually have many of them) and I would then be contracted to continue to operate the site on their behalf (and under their instruction) for a period of time before I got my full payout.

Whether I would then stay on and continue to be involved or not would depend on the circumstances and how I felt about working for someone else.

A large publishing group would not buy a site like this to shut it down - they would buy it to monetise it using their existing network of advertising clients. Take a look at what happened with Essential Baby. I'm not sure if the founder is still involved with that site - but there is a story somewhere about the buyout from Fairfax.

But I have no real interest in doing something like that at this point - this site is my baby and I have big plans for it. I really don't want someone else telling me what to do and I have no plans to sell.

Barny and mja like this.
  3. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

I think he would be silly not to. Ride out the non competition period and then start up a new one called:
    Property Chatter
    Choperty Pratter
    Somerhard
    or maybe just McKnight McNuggetts

I for one am glad of your continued involvement Sim. It is why I haven't visited the "other" site - no wraps mentioned- for over 4+ years.