Who owns a Farmhouse? Or has IP as a Farm House?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Never giveup, 11th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,

Hope every1 is staying safe

I tried looking but couldn't find relevant post hence creating this one.

I have always got attracted to the Farm House- big land (few acr/hact) good size home and some horses running around.

Does anyone own a Farmhouse and can share the experience of living there...I am mot asking this in relation to less traffic, polution etc...I want to know from looking after point of view, safety/security point of view?

Also, do you think Farm house can be a good Inv Property and move in once retire?

I live in Syd and in the process of buying an IP with budget upto 800k-1m. Areas like Southern Highlands, Bowral,Goulburn, Hunter, even wisemans ferry etc are not that far from Syd or other main centres and have a rural lifestyle.

I do understand that Farmhouse type properties will only attract certain people to rent and it may not be consistent. But in my head (I know aye) if we can buy good land size property with house then we can rent the 80% including stables (if any) and with council approval can build a small cottage in the 20% so we can still go on weekends to our farm house - am I dreaming enough..lol

On a serious note, genuinely interested to know if someone is currently living on a farm house and the challanges they are facing or have a Farm house as an IP?

2. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

I live in a farm house (sometimes) on an investment property in Vic Mallee. Dont have any issues never locked the doors or take keys out of vehicles, but everywhere is not the same. No Co-vid eithjer, Plenty of storage and sheds for all my stuff. I lease the land, could lease the house out to get more income, especially for Airbnb, short stay, grey nomads, international tourists etc but dont want to. Leasing the land is less hassle, 12 months rent in advance and tenant is responsible for outgoings and maintenance. Farm land has been the best performing assett bar none equal to the total return of NASDQ, of long term15%p/a, with 9% p/a CG, but it gives strong cashflow so allows much greater returns through leverage. A recent sale of inferior land to mine brought 60% more than vendors expectations, a 400% increase in value of 4 years ago, it does mean yields are low now, but still much more than interest the bank will pay.

WattleIdo and datto like this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hang on a minute. In another thread you were asking about IPs in Syd for $800k, now you are asking about a farm. What exactly are you looking for?

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

There was a big thread about this - I think it was called Living on Acreage - I'll see if I can find it

The additional small cottage will be the crux of the idea I guess? It's not so easy. I know in my council that the secondary dwelling has to be within 25m of the main dwelling which kind of kills the separation and privacy and how to divide up exclusive use areas.

Never giveup likes this.
  5. Westminster

Never giveup likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A unicorn :p

2000-3000m² next to Mrs Mac's Chair.

Galore, skater and Antoni0 like this.
  7. Never giveup

@skater did you miss the following statement

Nothing wrong with asking opinion abt suburb in nominated thred abd also share what else is possible!?

We haven't spend the money so we can decide house or farm house...

8. Never giveup

Thank you for sharing your experience @Ruby Tuesday

Re Land Lease- Is it farm land, lending to farmers and have CPI etc built in like commercial income.

Also with our budget it be really tight to get massive land that can be leased out ;)

9. Never giveup

Lol....cutting my coat according to cloth ;)

10. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

Sometimes I have 3 - 4 different scenarios running through my head and spend hours researching things that will probably never happen (my husband hates it!).

Never giveup likes this.
  11. Never giveup

12. Never giveup

Scott No Mates likes this.
  13. Westminster

Never giveup likes this.
  14. Never giveup

WA is promoted in the thread you mentioned (first couple of pages)

15. Never giveup

Majority of the available farms are far away within my budget or I have to look interstate.

Another thing when I use the filter tenanted - not many results.

@Ruby Tuesday - did you buy the lot with tenants or found afterwards?

@Scott No Mates - CBRE is also selling some but $$$$. Elders and other names I am not familier with running the rural RE show.

I prefer the agriculture croos than the livestock option.

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Elders are a big player in the paddock but there are plenty of non-affiliated or independent agencies dealing in the rural sphere as well.

I quite like Dickens in Bright Vic

17. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

18. Never giveup

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.