Who negotiates contract changes?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by PurpleTurtle, 18th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PurpleTurtle

PurpleTurtle Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but we’re new to this and getting conflicting stories from a real estate agent and lawyer.

Property is in Victoria. We put in an offer subject to satisfactory building & pest. Offer was accepted and contract signed.

Inspection took place and identified a couple of major issues. We felt that we would like to have them fixed before settlement, reduce the price, or pull out. We let the real estate agent and our solicitor know this.

The real estate agent said it’s now up to the lawyers to negotiate these changes.

Our lawyer said it’s not up to him to negotiate anything, we should just pull out of the contract due to B&P and then the agent can renegotiate with us and the vendor.

We have followed our lawyer’s advice and he has notified the vendor’s solicitor and the agent that we are ending the contract.

Given they are both saying their way is they way it’s usually done, I’m just curious what is the normal process in this sort of situation?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

either way. Usually you would negotiate and tell the lawyer what you want and they will word it and put in the contract.

Lindsay_W and PurpleTurtle like this.
  3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

So does that mean you've terminated the contract already or are you hoping the vendor comes back to you to renegotiate?

PurpleTurtle likes this.
  4. PurpleTurtle

Thanks Terry

Terry_w likes this.
  5. PurpleTurtle

We’ve terminated. The agent wouldn’t discuss things with the vendor and we were running out of time with the building clause.

We’ve made a new offer to the agent.

6. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

What a rubbish agent, not looking after the interests of their client... It's a bit odd not passing on something so critical and getting a contract ... Terminated....

I wish you all the best.

7. PurpleTurtle

It was certainly a frustrating situation with agent and vendor both saying it was the other’s responsibility. But things are moving again today so it looks like we may go ahead after all.

Dan Wood and Terry_w like this.
  8. PurpleTurtle

I’ve just discovered another oddity (or frustration) in this process. We cancelled the contract quickly because our lawyer pointed out that we only had 3 days to do so under the building inspection clause, not the 7 days we thought we had. So I assumed I’d misread something.

Just went back to look. Our original offer was on a contract that said 7 days for the building inspection. After some negotiation we agreed to a higher price and signed a new contract without checking everything was the same. This one only allowed 3 days.

Obviously we should have been more careful. Lesson learned.

I’m going to give the vendor and agent the benefit of the doubt and assume this was unintentional.