Who lived through the last Aussie recession?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by qonyx_sydney, 14th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qonyx_sydney

qonyx_sydney Well-Known Member

Im not suggesting that recession is imminent however it is inevitable at some point in the future that we will experience a recession.

So im interested in the experience of those that experienced the last recesion and what actions you took to minimize the impacts of holding a large portfolio.

Esh likes this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Which one there has been several under Labor,the jury at the time give you a large square peg and asks you as a investors on opm to chose between 2 round holes..

3. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

Important thing is to watch your cashflow.

So keep a cash buffer, hang on to your job, make sure repayments are manageable etc.

CDL and 380 like this.
  4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I took no action, other than to continue to pay down the PPoR debt; but I would have done that anyway.

We had no IP's at that stage, and bugger-all fin education other than I knew to smash the home loan.

Further to that now that I have a bit more of a clue; I suggest those who have a few IP's; get your ducks in a row and set up a 100% Offset account linked to the IP's (the MB's here on this site can help you) and put as much cash into that as you can spare.

Last edited: 16th Aug, 2015
    qonyx_sydney likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

When was the last one?

6. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Fairfax newspapers have it as 1990.

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

I believe it may have been around 1990

8. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

the recession we had to have

9. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

1974 was the first for me.

10. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

i remember the recession well.

dad went hunting to shoot rabbits and roos for dinner.

shoes had to last so we played barefoot.

second hand bikes cobbled together from the good bits at the tip.

well - that was my childhood anyway. we weren't even middle class at that point.

qonyx_sydney, Esh and willair like this.
  11. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

OK OK so now you know my age....Interest rates went up to 18% from 14% and neighbours were selling up to get out of debt.. or refinance, every third month. Our bank was nice to us.. they extended our mortgage by years and years and years:confused: My suggestions are
    1. Have a cash buffer. (As mentioned )2 Buy good clothes and get them mended.( or do it yourself) 3. You can still have fun without expensive anythings! 4.We didn't have overseas holidays. 5.Credit cards were for paying off in full at the end of the month.
    I hope this helps!

Doraemon, qonyx_sydney and willair like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sign of the times, more negative threads, bloody APRA

qonyx_sydney, Esh, C-mac and 2 others like this.
  13. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

A sign of the times or a sign of things to come?

qonyx_sydney likes this.
  14. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

It was like that for us too. We were poor and then we got really poor. My dad using rabbit traps, my grandfather turning up with day old bread he got from a mate for us, mum crying because there wasn't anything for us to eat.

They kept the house but only because the banks didn't have the balls to repossess our entire country town. Many farmers faced losing the farms but then there was no one to buy them back in 1990 so people just prayed for rain and good crops.

Not sure it would go the same way today. The farm would be a distressed asset sold off to a hedge fund.

Aaron Sice and qonyx_sydney like this.
  15. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I think I would just go overseas to work.

16. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Globalisation is not going to be your friend, if that's your plan to get away from a recession.

qonyx_sydney likes this.
  17. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    I was too young to remember it but I think my family were fine because both my parents had secure jobs back then.

qonyx_sydney likes this.
  18. Bunlee

Bunlee Well-Known Member

I was in my 20's during that one - only significant asset was a PPOR with approx $140,000 loan & interest rates topping 18% ( I recall that some bank customers had a ceiling rate of 14.5% if loan taken out before a particular date). I had a very secure job and a reasonable income but still, to this day, I hate the taste of 2 minute noodles :)

Fast forward 25 years.......jeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

No PPOR loan but one on an investment property, fortunately fixed at 4.99% for the remaining term of just over 4 years.

Average income but very little job security now.

Noodles not on the horizon though

Strategy is to pay investment property loan down slowly, buy more quality shares and put a bit into super.

Will consider another IP maybe way down the track but strategy now is reduce debt slowly and build up shares at same pace.

Jeez.....25 years!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Nick14, qonyx_sydney and willair like this.
  19. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Go Libs. Wages explosion which resulted in double digit unemployment, 12.5% inflation and 18% interest rates. The economy was far too hot. Without the recession, which was the price (hence we had to have) for bad economic policy and peoples proflegacy, who knows what would have happened. But we do know that as a result of the cooling economy, std varaible interest rates were back down to 8% in early 97.

qonyx_sydney likes this.
  20. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I was only 8 when the 1990 recession hit. My family did ok. Weirdly, it just so happened that the family business was in a sector that was - at the time - thriving!!!

You would all laugh if I told you this but... the family business was... a video store!
    Think about it... pre-Internet, pre-cable TV, pre-movies being able to be purchased from shops at all for sometimes up to two years post-cinema-release!

VHS piracy was difficult to execute and actually quite costly, so it only occurred in mild doses.

Couple this with a recession-gripped target market and the budgeting cost for a family of spending $3 on an overnight new release video hire, versus actually going to the movies or a family holiday etc., and it was a thriving business during an otherwise awful time financially.

Of course our family were broke by the mid 90's as easily-pirateable dvd launched, Internet and cable TV took on, as globalised players such as Blockbuster Video took hold.

By the late 90's the video store industry was obviously floundering (other factors such as a dvd release of a cinema movie being available at big w for less than $20, only 3 months after cinema release, also took hold), and death was imminent. Any business brave enough to operate post-2001 was either lying to themselves or selling drugs under the counter or something.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.