Who just received their latest land tax notice?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Harry30, 16th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Yes, got another $100k knocked off (net -was minus 40k because they raised the value $60k from the previous year).

It's a bit of work, I put together a portfolio of comparable sales with analysis. Had a ridiculous conversation with the council appointed valuer who excluded a couple of my comparable sales as 'low sales'. Wouldn't budge when I pointed out he was cherry-picking all the 'high sales' (like big development sites sold with plans and permits, etc) to justify his valuation. Absurdly biased methodology to exclude evidence that doesn't justify your final assessment, but at least I got them to meet me half way.

Do the objection when you get your council rates, it flows on to SRO after that and you get a discount on both if you're successful.

LeeM likes this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Land tax valuations

Disputing a valuation : Understanding your land tax assessment | State Revenue Office and this must occur within 60 days of the land tax notice. It is worth seeking a extension or appealling if you can demonstrate COVID impacted these matters. The Vic method is a bit kinder than many states where the valuation can only be objected to when it issued not when the land tax is assessed.

Remember that 2020 land tax is based on land values a whole year earlier so dont object using present sales data. Use older sales data that suits the valuation period.

LeeM likes this.