Who is responsible for sealing door gaps and pest control

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by fayk, 3rd Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fayk

fayk Active Member

Hi, we are new tenants just moved into a newly built house in Sydney South-West for 1 week and having a lot of spider issues, mostly due to gap under doors. I’d really appreciate your suggestions on few things:

1. There is a gap under the main door and i see large spiders in the foyer almost everyday in last 7 days! Also gap on the sides of the garage door. The first photo marked as A shows the gap under door and also gap at the corner of doorframe. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE forsealing these gaps? If its tenants responsibility: Any ideas how I can permanently seal this under door gap ? I tried the foamy sticky door seal stuff from bunnings which came off everytime we open the door
    2. There are gaps between the doorframes and fall/floor around every door in the house. How do I seal the gaps at the bottom of door-frames? Any full proof ideas? Every time I vacuum, I get tiny creepy spiders coming out from these gaps
    3. DO I INFORM THE Owner about the building /painting defect considering this is a brand new built? May be they already know if they are owner builder!
    4. WHO PAYS FOR PEST Control for plenty of spiders?

PS:

-no judgement pls. Any suggestions or tips will be appreciated

-owner already agreed to get flyscreens for windows but not for the sliding doors (which I think I will get arranged myself separately!)

Attached Files:

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Report it to owner

fayk likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If this is a new build, it has terrible finishes. But the size of the gaps under the architrave and skirting boards won't really be letting spiders in. The big gap under the door has to be there to allow the door to open but adding a weatherstrip to the outside might keep a few crawlies out.

We always hand a house over to new tenants having been treated for pests. And we ask them to treat it before they leave. That way we hand over a pest-free house and the outgoing tenant hands over a pest-free house for the next one.

Is there anything in your lease about the owner having done a pest treatment? Is this managed by a property manager? I'd be asking the property manager (or owner) to have a pest treatment done so the spiders don't even come in.

Stoffo and fayk like this.
  4. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

That does look like dreadful construction.

I spray around every door, window (and every other hiding place) in the house with surface spray each year (cheap aerosol stuff). It tends to keep most things at bay. Whilst you put your position to the landlord, it might help mitigate the problem quickly with minimum cost/effort.

Get a $2 draft stopper for that door in the mean time.

fayk likes this.
  5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Last edited: 4th Mar, 2019
    Stoffo and fayk like this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That door gap does seem large.

Bunnings sells special automatic lifting door seals for this type of door, though there are normal non lifting ones you can use too.

Most need to be screwed into the door (the cheaper ones have a glue strip) so best to ask the agent or landlord.

That does not look like a new house to me from those photos. Terrible paint job!

Remember that without insects life on earth would likely collapse - they are hugely important...

Last edited: 4th Mar, 2019
    fayk likes this.
  7. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I always used
    Raven 915mm Clear Anodised RP3 Automatic Weather Door Seal

For entrance doors.

I just also finished a Granny flat and the builder installed the same Ravens under all exterior doors.
    This makes me feel its parts for the Basix requirements.

Looking at the photos I find it so hard to believe its a new build. The architrave look shocking.

As for pest control is Landlords responsibility. I have argued otherwise many times and was proven wrong. :)

Terry_w likes this.
  8. fayk

fayk Active Member

Thanks everyone. The RE is going to ask the landlord for arranging pest control. She mentioned we need to get weathertrips to the main door and garage door gap. My question is, is his tenants responsibility to fox underdoor gap of maindoor and garage door side gaps? Or the landlord should do it?
    Thanks

9. fayk

fayk Active Member

I am havinv a feeling that its a owner builder built home!

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I say landlord should add the weather strips.

fayk and balwoges like this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Dodgy - Screw heads and poor cuts and terrible joints.

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

For God sake dont do that. Termite products need a license. You can put the buggers on the move somewhere you cant see them.

If the place needs a general insect spray its a landlord obligation and using a licensed contrator will avoid risks of making an issue worse. The spiders may need a ceiling treatment. They love going in the roof space and between cracks in sleepers etc.

Those spider pics gave me the creeps. Light a match and run away.

13. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

I agree, the house should be made secure and free of insects.

did he build the house from second hand materials, or does he need glasses ?

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Nice inclusion of the Safety Data Sheet ;)
    @Paul@PFI the products generally used by pest controllers contain a higher amount of the active constituent.
    They still work, mostly....
    Generally you can't buy full strength products from Bunnings :p

15. Ezzo

Ezzo Well-Known Member

16. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

They sell exactly the same chemical already diluted for about $20 to $30 for 2L (about 10ml out of that bottle mixed with water) They call it spider and ant spray.
    eg Brunnings there you go price has come down to $7 was over $20 at one time other brands can be $30

Last edited: 7th Mar, 2019