Who is responsible for property settlement errors?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by coops__, 26th Aug, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. coops__

coops__ Member

After settlement on of our investment properties we received an overdue notice (relating to a period prior to our purchase) from the Body Corporate Manager and paid it.

Recently, however, I was going back through our records and found there was no adjustment in our favour on the purchase settlement statement for overdue Body Corporate fees.

I assume our solicitor made an error in not claiming an adjustment in our favour. We should have picked up on it at the time I guess, however the full settlement statement comes through post settlement so there isn't much you can do if it is incorrect.

I'm just curious to know if we were liable for the debt or should the previous owner have been billed ?

Perhaps this indicates that we should obtain the complete settlement figures prior to settlement and check them carefully instead of relying on the professional we are paying to act on our behalf.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

If there is a question, I would go back to the solicitor/conveyancer who did the work for you - they should be able to identify whether it was actually done correctly or needs attention, and if it does need attention, they should (in theory) be able to rectify it. Not sure if this works in practice though - I haven't been in that situation.

Sim' makes himself a note to get some conveyancers in to the forum.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia