who is responsible for NBN $300 New Development Charge

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Frostmourn, 24th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Back to the original $300 instalation cahrge.

We have installed 3 NBN connections in recent times. The first and second were installs over the old cables no fuss at all to get installed simply cut over the phone and needed a new router. Dodo charge a $100 which includes the router/modem. The third was a install on the foxtel cable. Some extra gear and foxtel was rerouted through the gear. Zero cost.

So why is there a $300 charge when the premises are new. Seems like it's the old $300 phone connection charge ripoff that Telstra perpetuated continuing. My son tells me that the new premises does have fibre optic to the unit but this should make a difference as it would all be software driven.

In the old days the telstra tech would come along and reassure the tenant that $300 was a charge the LL would have to pay.

I call a $300 ripoff

2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

The $300 is a contribution to the thousands of dollars that NBN has to pay out in labour and materials to run it to your house. I'm not sure why you're calling it a ripoff when if they were to pass on actual costs to set you up, you'd be looking at five digit invoices (just ask those people who got an $800,000 quote to run NBN fibre to their house!)

3. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

It's irrelevant to me how much the NBN had to pay. Bottom line is if a service it's not competitive then it wouldn't be used.

The point I was making is that for 3 services that we cut over there was no $300 install charge although they had to install exactly the same service.

Yet in a 'new' building you have to pay a $300 initial connection fee. This fee is on top of the already hefty install fees that the builder had to pay to get the NBN line to the property.

It is a government sponsored compulsory cut over that shouldn't have been initiated in the first place.

Historically the $300 came about as telecom had to physically run a phone line to a property. This was only a small part of the actual cost at that time. Then as more phone lines were established the $300 charge stayed even though the cost of cutting over phones become a lot less than the actual work involved.

So the $300 is a historic charge that has been left in place and they are now trying continue this charge even though the builder has already paid for the physical connection to each new property.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You have ignored the secret profit making deals the govt has brokered.......just like they did with the banks years ago.....

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Bump
    PM contacted me on this.

So does the landlord pay NBN fee. Not clear on this thread
    We completed 3 villa development and new tenant is asking us to pay for the NBN development fee, is it still $300?

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's still $300.
    It's still a grey area. The total figure was brought about to share the cost between developers and owners but you are both.
    So you've done the $600 part and registered the development and had infrastructure connected?
    Some of my tenants have paid, some I have gone halves with, some have just used a wireless service as they can't be bothered using NBN

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thx for your feedback

Yes paid for registration

its only one tenant requesting this. I think I will just pay this.

8. dabbler

Another gov co scam, forced to use something not everyone wants.

So much for market competition, right.

I laughed when I moved and a perfect working ADSL and Phone line could no longer be used, was forced to use NBN wireless that is FAR worse. Scammers.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You have a choice, you can use mobile data or get a fibre service via a commercial provider as an alternative.

Did you enter into an agreement directly with NBN or did you go with a retail provider? Same as complaining about the service from Ausnet or Transgrid you have to go through a retailer.

Again, you have a choice pay for a fibre to the premises. When you're paying your $400/month and not getting the service, complain

sanj likes this.
  10. dabbler

No there were no such choices

1 Mobile data is atrocious outside city in many places, I cannot even get MMS
    2 Much of the time, despite being able to see the tower, calls are hard enough, it even drops out as you drive past the tower, anyway, forget reliable mobile.
    3 There was good working ADSL and landline, nil noise on line, no retailer I called would use it, for new customers you must use NBN
    4 Was forced to use NBN wireless, tower is a long way away, no amount of complaining to anyone will have them build a new tower
    5 Phones via IP are also not so reliable, you have all teh above issues, but also issues of software and hardware you own, I can sort it when an issue, most women and guests could not.

It is a scam, because you do not get choices at all, you get NBN through retailers, it is worse than what existed prior, that is my experience. Not everyone lives near an exchange or node or tower with great signal.

11. Foreshadow

Foreshadow Well-Known Member

And a very large % of people dont live near an exchange to make ADSL a fun experience. Was a good reason to move away from old technology. Granted the way they implemented wasn't the best, but when is it ever when Government is in charge of large projects.

12. dabbler

I get a whole 10mbs if everything lines up. lol even worst adsl can compete with that.

I just do not like being forced when old system was fine.

The so called competition of private companies is a failure imo, would all be better if govt owned and run, and that is from a capitalist :)

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Which is it? Competition or a monopoly?

Our ADSL got 5mbs with the wind behind it, now getting 10x that.

sanj likes this.
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Might be time for Starlink? They currently have half price hardware $450 and is $139/mth but it's chalk and cheese compared to what you're suffering through.

Starlink

I'm getting 15Mbs on fixed wireless nbn and soooooo close to pulling the plug and getting Starlink.

15. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I daresay I agree- essential infrastructure should be state owned and run (telecommunications, utilities, public transport, roads, etc.).

Michael Mitchell likes this.