who is responsible for NBN $300 New Development Charge

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Frostmourn, 24th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. womble66

womble66 Well-Known Member

That is incorrect and the modem ain't FREE ...... lol.

There will be the compulsory $300 new development fee from nbn(tm) and then there are many RSPs that offer free connection and then a basic router or modem from many cost around $100 so about $400 all up plus your first month subscription for you given plan.

Have a read here as this is a good guide to some of the better RSP deals around :)

NBN - Looking for an Australian based ISP - Choosing an ISP - Whirlpool Forums

Here is a good example with a $90 router/modem, free connection + the $300 fee.

Lightning Fast nbn Plans With No Contracts, No Setup Fee | Mungi Internet
    (and I don't use Mungi so not a biased POV)

Last edited: 18th May, 2018
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

NBN isn't an essential service as it won't work when there's a power failure.

You can have NBN without a phone service, that's an added cost.

3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It's technically a "levy" and it is intended to be charged to the owner of the property. It's only applicable to brand new builds, once off upon the first connection.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If they want it, they pay. Simple. Had one last week wanting NBN, my answer is sure, if they pay a professional to install,

Let's turn it around, why should I pay for anything I want in my house ?

5. dabbler

Nothing is free really, or very few things are, but I cant really complain about most of the internet providers, they are often very reasonable I have found. I have had a "free" modem at times, even when I had one and was not being charged for a connection, but I had been a long term customer.

6. dabbler

Yea, and I think that is mainly new estates, and there are already so many extras your probably paying for.

With Mobiles now, it is hard to argue anything is essential. And the copper is so poor in many area...it essentially does not work :)

Oh Tom, can you get me a new NBN connection for free please, just put it on the LLs acc, I do not like paying for stuff I want or use....Ta.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

https://www.tuv.org.au/articles/files/resources/utility_charges_RT_FS_052010.pdf

The one and only time I’ve found the tenants union helpful. Internet and phone are not an essential service so it is a tenant expense including the $300 connection fee in a new build. If you call consumer affairs they will advise you the act is silent on the matter. Only time landlords can get stuck is when you have phone points, and no wiring / trenching from road to house as by having phone points, it must be working.

This has been around for a very long time so I’m surprised that property managers don’t advise owners of this.

Realistically though, the nbn box, stays with the house so after a discussion the majority of owners I deal with split the cost 50/50. (Prior to it being nbn, it was just the connection... thing on the side of the house) nothing new has come in, if it does though, all licensed agents will be notified by consumer affairs (who should then pass on to their staff who just have their agents rep).

Note this is for Victoria, not sure about other states.

8. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

I should add to this though, that despite the act being silent and advice from the tenants union, if it went to VCAT then the member can always use their discretion.

9. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

There has always been a telecommunications connection fee with housing. Even copper connection cost $300 ten years ago.

Maybe the tenant's Union is advising that this is a non essential service. In the sense that a person can live without it, it might be. I am not sure what the specific telecommunications law states but I think a connection to a phone and therefore the NBN was classed legally as essential.

You could check this with a lawyer but it would be more expensive than the connection.

Putting the law aside, good luck being competitive without a phone and Internet connection either for rent or sale.

SarahD likes this.
  10. womble66

womble66 Well-Known Member

In a rental if there is phone sockets and/or a nbn service box then a prospective tenant maybe in a position to claim the these services should work as they are present at the time the lease was signed and the tenant is unable to test prior to occupation,

*CAT can and have sided with the tenant for similar claims leaving the LL to foot the bill. A FTA antenna socket also causes similar issues if in fact the antenna doesn't work.

SarahD and Tom Rivera like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No, a phone is not an essential service. NBN doesn't work If you have no power, it says on their website use a mobile phone.

Linky

Exract: "Restoring power to your premises with an alternative power option will have no effect if the FTTN network is also experiencing power loss. You should consider keeping a charged mobile phone in case there is a power outage of any sort".

Same goes for FTTC, FTTB, FTTP or HFC.

I don't think that you'd have much luck in claiming a rent reduction If your internet was down.

12. hobartchic

A mobile connection does not work in an electrical outage either as the towers have no, or limited battery back up. Satellite would probably work. What happens in an emergency is not relevant.

I did not write anything about a rental reduction. I was making the point that most people expect, and the law may also, a phone/ NBN connection.

13. dabbler

Essential service my rear end, Oxygen is essential, and some people should be deprived of it :)

Like all the other modern day PC BS, our society is going soft & always expecting more from "others".

14. dabbler

I think you had too many years of Bob Brown, and his nong replacements :)

15. hobartchic

Five hours without power due to major car accident. I was only inconvenienced. Would love to see cables under ground everywhere though. Ever party should be pushing for it.

Had about forty minutes coverage on mobile then none.

16. hobartchic

Like I said, essential service potentially under telecommunications law.

It is absurd in this day that someone would build a brand new high spec home and not connect NBN.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

In WA the landlord does not have to warrant that there is a phone line (be it copper or NBN)

As a developer of new/subdivided properties I have paid the Developer Contribution Charge to NBN which is $600 per house ($400 per apartment)

There is then the $300 end user RSP New Development Charge which NBN charges the first Telco to connect. The Telco is allowed to oncharge this to the end user. In this case this would be the first Tenant to request service from a telco.

Government policy for new developments | nbn - Australia's new broadband access network

The majority of my tenants have paid the $300 or chosen not to connect to NBN and go with an alternative technology such as a Vivid Wireless 4G connection. I have had one tenant ask me to pay it and as they are a NRAS tenant on very low income I am going to pay half of it.

Last edited: 20th May, 2018
    Shogun and Perthguy like this.
  18. dabbler

No it is not, ADSL and 4G works better in a couple of places I know, not only that, not everyone is stuck on the net like many of us.

What I think is absurd is we owned Telstra, then sold it back to ourselves with this situation now where they and others do not have to provide the service all the way like it used too. Same with banks, etc

NBN is absurd really, I have copper wire but forced to use NBN wireless, it is not better than ADSL, that is absurd.

A post above says you must supply a line or NBN, that is absurd if like me you have to use wireless, because you could leave the tenant a 20 buck mobile, same thing really, probably better as still works in a black out.

19. hobartchic

You are missing the point. In this instance, the NBN is available because it is a new build. In other areas, ADSL would be the equivalent.

Mobile's only work if the blackout is short and the mobile tower is on a seperate line. The mobile tower network relies on electricity with minimal battery life. Read above.

20. dabbler

No, I am not missing anything.

And there is no option for anything but NBN in some place, because your forced to use it, I cant be bothered explaining it all, but essentially it and mobiles can both fail, only old handset on copper is pretty reliable.

With mobiles, having a home line is very optional for a lot of people and locations.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia