who is responsible for NBN $300 New Development Charge

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Frostmourn, 24th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I would be putting it in if a new place & it is available, it would be another positive.

Wondering if you already have a line, changing over may just mean the tenant choosing a plan and they do it for them ?

On top of that, I thought long ago they decided copper would continue in many areas ?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You mean a copper phone line? Once NBN is rolled out, they will have to arrange connection within 18 months.

If NBN has already been connected, it works pretty much like an existing phone/broadband connection - you just contact your provider and arrange it to be turned on.

No - you'll either get FTTP, FTTN, FTTdp, HFC, Fixed Wireless or Satellite.

There may be some isolated communities which remain on copper until they come up with a plan to service them - but the vast majority will be migrating to one of these technologies.

3. Frostmourn

Frostmourn Member

My house was settled in 2015 before this rule came in (Apr/2016), it only has NBN provision.
    The previous tenant didn't connect it for free for some reason. They probably just used mobile broadband. Now came the second tenant and all of a sudden I got whacked by a 300 bill

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

:p

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Utility connection is a landlord cost. Like optionally charging for water sewer or electricity.
    NBN connection is the ONLY telecommunications, paytv and data service.

I just connected and wondered why I didnt earlier. NBN is faster and cheaper. Unless you use Telstra and are delusional. I used to and now use a smaller player (of the 50+ providers) and its the same water from the pipe. Free calls. Unlimited data and faster. Simple. Go to whistleout.com.au I now have superfast stable service and free calls and saved the montly service charge for copper. Saved $50 out of $130.

6. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

This NBN $300 fee, is charged by the provider the tenant selects right? So say optus. When they move out and a new tenant moves in and wants to do Telstra, I don't have to pay this again?

How to get invoice for this? It will be under the tenant's name in their ISP bill wouldn't it?

7. Braedan Young

Braedan Young New Member

The user contribution charge of $300 is one off and doesn't lock to a specific ISP. The tenant should supply a copy of the invoice to see reimbursement for that specific portion (it will be itemised).

giraffez likes this.
  8. giraffez

What is the charge actually for? There is an NBN box inside my unit. I thought that was NBN enabled already.

9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Connection fee?

I have an IP in Perth with a phone line but it has never had phone connected. Helstra quoted $299 for a new connection but wanted me to apply for an account with a full credit assessment. I agreed with the tenant if she applied for the connection I would reimburse the fee. Helstra declined her application. They are completely useless. I hired an ACMA certified tech to do the work, which cost $149 and was completed the next day. Brilliant! My point is this was for a place with an existing phone line.

I am building in the same area and have been charged the NBN provisioning fee although there is no NBN in the area.

Braedan Young likes this.
  10. giraffez

If its connection fee, wouldn't all ISP charge it when you join with them? It sounds more like an activation fee.

Maybe I'm getting confused with the setup fee. Once upon a time when i joined optus, i had to pay a setup fee and that included a cable modem. This $300 isn't that right?

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Not sure between connection fee, activation fee, setup fee etc. Probably best to just get it straight from the horses mouth:

End user contributions for service providers
    nbn is required to charge the phone or internet service provider a one-time user contribution of $300 (inc. GST).

Under nbn™’s Wholesale Broadband Agreement, this is referred to as the “new developments charge” and came into effect on 2nd April 2016. nbn applies this charge to the service provider that, on and from this date, submits the first order for an nbn™ network broadband service to complete at a location in a new development.

A service provider has the choice to on-charge this amount to the end user at their discretion.

Learn more about end user contribution charges

giraffez likes this.
  12. giraffez

I say the NBN box in my property. that that mean

Yeah i saw that as well, doesn't really say much. I just know my property has the NBN box in the property, since the NBN box is installed, I didn't think i would be hit with another $300.

13. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

This fee only applies to greenfield developments, not existing properties. The $300 is charged to the first RSP to activate a service at the location and is charged once only per location.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. giraffez

I'm really confused on this one. I just got the invoice and the itemised item is NBN New connection Fee. It doesn;t indicate this is the new development charge, and its only $100. is this the intial set up fee when a customer joins or is this the one off development charge?

15. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

That sounds like a standard connection fee from the rsp. Not anything to do with nbn

If this is coming from a tenant then as a landlord I wouldn't expect to be paying it

Perthguy and giraffez like this.
  16. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

I suggest look for a internet provider who does the free NBN installation. I am renting a townhouse here in NSW & the mates.com offered a free installation with no connection fee.

17. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    I just spoke to my real-estate agent .
    She said the new ruling is that its up to the tenant to pay for all costs fo NBN is the want it.
    The landlord does not have to pay at all.

She said its new

Can some one confirm this.? Im happy to split cost with future tenant but the are is lower socio so rent is not that high .

New Granny Flat( $300 charge is compulsory for new connection to granny paid to NBN co for trenching and installing cable)

TPG is the cheapest total cost including free modem is $500
    Telstra you pay for modem and cost is $815

18. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

There is no choice but to use NBN in areas I have connected recently. And is not clear if you mean there is an existing service or not.

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I checked nbnco.com.au to check how soon our NBN will be up and running.

Originally scheduled for mid to late last year...the HFC hit a glitch. Now I get it in 2020 with FTTC only 2½ years late.

20. Dmarkw

Dmarkw Well-Known Member

Beyond just a compulsory service, why should the tentant pay for the installation of essential infrastructure that will be used by every occupant of the premises afterwards..?