who is responsible for maintenance in this case ?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by rogerG, 18th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rogerG

rogerG Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I recently purchased an apartment which is under the strata. Each apartment under the complex has an individual locked store room on the ground level near the parking.

I made a mistake o_O in that I didnt check the storage room properly. Now after purchase I found that storage room wall and door are not clean and poorly painted (photo attached). The door also appears to be badly patched on the left hand side of the handle and slightly damaged on the left hand side of the deadlock. Attached photos

So now that I have found it, does this fall under my responsibility or the strata to do the repair ? I just wanted to know your feedback before checking with them. The property is in Perth.

Thanks (5).JPG (4).JPG

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it is an external door from a common area it is probably strata. If it is between your exclusive parking space and your storage space it may be different.

But there are lots of variables so it is not always clear cut. Best thing is to lodge a claim for repairs to strata and see how you go.
    Marg

rogerG likes this.
  3. rogerG

rogerG Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. It is an external door from a common area.