VIC Who is responsible for appliance maintenance

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by MMH, 8th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MMH

MMH New Member

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice as I cannot seem to find an answer online (through government pages or tenants help pages).

I am wondering who is responsible for general maintenance of appliances in a rental property?
    Currently our dishwasher is not working properly. I have done a cleaning cycle and made sure there is rinse aid etc. Dishes are no where near clean upon completion of cycle.
    As it is a slightly older dishwasher, I ensure to rinse food scraps off the plates prior to loading.

I have asked the Property Manager if we can please have someone come to look at it and they responded asking me to clean out the filters.

If I owned my own home, this is not something I would attempt to do as I honestly would not really know where to begin and would not want to break anything (also concerned to put it back together!). There is unfortunately no manual either.

Correct me if I am wrong, however I thought something like this would be the responsibility of the landlord to get a professional to look at it/clean it (maintain it).

This is not the first time we have been asked to do things ourselves before they will send someone out to look/inspect/fix.

Would love to know everyone's opinion, thank you :)

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Cleaning the filters is your responsibility. Basic maintenance.

If you look online you should be able to find a manual - or call the manufacturer.

If it breaks down or stops working, it’s the landlord’s responsibility. But they might not be prepared to pay if it is because you didn’t clean the filters!

What brand and model is it?

Here is a set of general instructions - but I would try getting the manual for your model instead, if you can:
    Easy Ways to Clean a Dishwasher Filter: 8 Steps (with Pictures)

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2021
  3. MMH

MMH New Member

Thanks for the advice Joynz!

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I would tell the Property Manager I am more than happy to attempt to clean the filters. Please supply appliance instruction manual.

5. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Ummm just clean the filters?! I clean ours once a week, they would be so gross otherwise. Def don’t need a tradie around to do this.

6. Firefly99

I’ve owned about 10 different dishwashers, don’t think I’ve ever read a manual. The filters are pretty simple to clean, just take it out and wash it under the tap and put it back. Takes 30 seconds.

7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Working in mining I never assume anyone's ability. What might be extremely obvious and easy may be possible with one worker and totally outside of the skill set of another.
    Hence no SWP me no do job.

jared7825 likes this.
  8. Firefly99

The consequences of getting something wrong on a mine site will generally be a little different to what can go wrong when attempting to clean a filter on a dishwasher ;)

Joynz likes this.
  9. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Maintenance is a lessor's responsibility.

I don't think you are wrong. At a minimum, they should be able to show you exactly how to clean the filters if they're not going to do it themselves.

jared7825 likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

View attachment 43791 View attachment 43791 View attachment 43791
    I agree that a tenant should be shown what to do - and ideally given a manual.

However, they need to be cleaned very regularly so it would be odd to expect a tradie to visit daily or weekly to clean the filters! Like sending a tradie to clean out crumbs from a toaster.

To illustrate: I just quickly looked up a Bosch manual and they recommend cleaning the filters after each wash.

Attached Files:

11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Find the model number and google it, almost everything has an online manual easily found these days :D

wylie likes this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.