Who is planning to buy shares

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Noobieboy, 22nd Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What am I doing in the market

1. Buying

67 vote(s)
    60.4%
  2. Sitting on the fence

37 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Moving to cash

7 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

I bought WBC a few weeks ago and had a 10% rise. Many stocks have had large corrections of 50 to 70% yet nothing has changed with the company, had a great report good performance and in better financial position, yet people still waiting for price correction ! Bought MELI this morning and will probably buy Shopify to-night. As Morgan Hounsel said you should be looking at the next 5 or 10 years not the next 5 minutes. 90% of gains in a lifetime are made on the 10 worst days of the market.

Last edited: 23rd Feb, 2022
    Anne11 and The Y-man like this.
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'm looking to trim down some underperformers and a fairly large holding of SOL (from my MLT days).

Being largely exposed to AFI, AUI, ARG and VAS is probably enough so SOL is extraneous.

3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I'm not in the majority or the minority. Reason being I haven't any idea what will happen tomorrow, next week , next year of in the next decade.

Best not to find solace in what others may think. They could be right or they could be wrong.

apk and Islay like this.
  4. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Not at all, I voted buying.
    I’m of the opinion the next correction will be huge, I am also of the opinion that, that too shall pass.
    Another important factor for me is that I’m a buy and never sell investor meaning that time is my tool. With that said I’ve seen what time has done to stock returns over time, I’ve also seen what time has done to the purchasing power of cash.
    Admittedly I have started buying a touch less than usual and I am increasing a cash account but this is not because I’m concerned about a crash, more because I plan to stop work at the end of the year to spend every minute I can with my one year old whilst not having to draw down/sell down stocks or real estate and I’m 33 so it needs to last me a while hopefully!

Sannie, nofriends, number 5 and 3 others like this.
  5. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

I am buying... with no property loans left and excess rents..where else can my cash go into?

Just like property, i don't buy to flip..so i don't buy shares to flip..i buy to keep and live off the dividends and/or buy even more shares..

So i rejoice when prices drop :p..

6. luke83

luke83 Well-Known Member

So don't have huge share account as I focused on eliminating all debt over last 3 years. Anyway mid December I cashed out my shares and switched to gold and Siver. Also changed my super settings from high growth to a defensive options ( including 30% cash), time will tell if that was right call.

Goal for next 6 months is to build up metals ( to add some balance to my asset mix) as I'm waiting to see what's going to happen with inflation and interest rates, planning on starting DCA back into shares in 12 month_ish time, thinking inflation will hurt US more than us but I still feel like we will feel some pain from the fallout so would like to buy back in once 30% fall.

I know, you can't time the market but I still feel we due for a major change to the status quo as we can't kick the can down the road forever so I think next 2 years will be interesting.

Baker likes this.
  7. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

I've been watching a lot of documentaries lately about WW1 and WW2 and all the events after. From what I've seen, the world recovers pretty quickly each time. Japan was one of the richest nations on earth in the 80s and Germany is a European economic powerhouse. They both lost the last major war in dramatic ways. I think diversified share portfolios will always do well over the long term and speculation is for chumps and gamblers.

8. RogTheBear

RogTheBear Well-Known Member

I just had a very large chunk of money rolled into my direct invest super account and "spent" it all over the last three days on LICs and ETFs.. and now I can get back to normal life.

Individual shares... hmmm.... don't think, right now, I'd be going there, but I don't really do individual shares any more because I suck at them.

Noobieboy, Soren, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  9. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Time in the market not timing the market. (but it doesn't hurt to buy more when the market drops)

10. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

11. Hamwow

Hamwow Active Member

Thanks for posting - good info.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone buying?
    ASX taking a hit

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

5 months on, it's working well, US equities.

14. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Not yet, this is more than a correction.. Things will bounce back in the short term, but markets will not make a newer high for many many months.

MTR, Chris21, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  15. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

16. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

Pay day means more building today $$$

Aiming for ART at $0.39
    PTXOC at $0.066

I’ll update if my orders get filled then we’ll circle back in 12 months

17. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

https://mobile.twitter.com/charliebilello/status/1374019670152470529

Two of the most powerful tables in investing. The hardest thing for me to do is stick to the plan and NOT buy extra at the moment. What we are seeing now is normal market operation, this is why holding on and continuing to invest gets rewarded over the long term. Betting against the relentless upwards trajectory of the share market is a dangerous game. Every year there's a narrative for "this time it's the real crash", every decade or so it's correct.....

upload_2022-5-13_12-49-37.png

upload_2022-5-13_12-50-2.png

18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

19. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

Yes high yield ASX ETFs but will limit other geographies in the short term. It's my preference in wethering the bear market.

Silverson likes this.
  20. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Don’t get sucked into the yield trap! I had to learn the hard way!!

Terry_w likes this.