Who is going to retire young

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by MTR, 30th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Yup. I would STRUGGLE with a full time job. Having been doing part time (22 hrs/ week) for about 5 years. Really do not want to be in the position where I have to work full time ever again.

skater and Sackie like this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds great... except the 90 minute commute. Even part time, that's going to hurt.

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

General statement here, but I reckon part timers work harder in their allocated hours than full timers do in 5 days.

Firefly99 likes this.
  4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

We moved into our holiday/ retirement home about 18 months before retirement and commute was just over an hour each way, occasionally 90 mins in heavy traffic. Eventually I started staying in the city 2 nights a week. It was OK because we knew it wasn’t long term, but don’t think I could have done it for much longer.

5. Lewy

Lewy New Member

We are currently living in a 4 br house on a large block. I find that I spend more time maintaining the house, garden and lawn than I do enjoying it - I know the commute is going to essentially be the same amount of time wasted... however the plan is to hopefully get part time within a year or 2 so Id only be doing the commute once per week (drive up on the day of work, stay the night and drive back after the next day)
    Houses where we want to move are far to expensive.. these townhouses are in a great spot, all 4 BR 2 bath 2 car garage with a rumpus room. Parks, schools, pool, shops and beach all less than a km away.

Firefly99 likes this.