Who is going to retire young

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by MTR, 30th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

In the next couple of months I'll be changing positions at work. I'll be working 2 days out of every 8. Still as a full time employee though.

Having previously worked the 4 on 4 off roster the new 1 on 1 off 1 on 5 off sounds even better to me.

Squeakywheel, MTR and Anne11 like this.
  2. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

I am currently 3 on, 5 off.

Very much enjoying it. Pay is low but lifestyle is high :)

DoggaPP, PKFFW, wylie and 3 others like this.
  3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

George Best was born in 1946

WC Fields was born in 1879 said similar..

4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

i applied for Sickness Benefits in July 2016 and they didn't believe i was sick so sent me to a doctor who sent me for and electrocardiogram , the doctor sent me back for a second one and the technician sent me to a cardiologist , ....the cardiologist decided a professor has better do the procedure in the meantime Centre-link sent me to a consultant for a review .... 6 days later i had a full disability pension ( back-paid to July )

currently i have a GP , two cardiologists , a hematologist , and a physio and at the end of the year i can switch to the Aged Pension . , i think i have this retirement thing in the bag now

i just hope Social Security and Medicare can hold together until i settle in ( to the pension )

5. Sydneyboy

Sydneyboy Active Member

To those of you working part time after hitting FI, with the benefit of hindsight do you wish you simply pulled the plug on full time work earlier?

Part time is financially feasible for me now, though full FI would be about 5 years away.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally I recommend leaving all paid work if someone is financially independent enough to do so and spend their time doing everything they love to do with their loved ones. If they are the rare case and genuinely love their work then by all means. Otherwise don't waste a second of your life. It's short enough as it is. The 7 day weekend is a dream I never want to wake up from.

Just my 1.5c take on life.

Beginner1, Lauren350 and Lacrim like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

:p:p

Its pretty common for people to say they love their day job..... what they actually mean is they need/love the money. ;)

Psychologically its a way of dealing with it

I told myself this everyday ......I loved my job until I no longer needed it. Human nature

....how else can you deal with the hard slog, grind

Oops....Now I have said it... too late

8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

My spouse and I, in our 50s, were both abruptly retired by our employers in 2019. Even though we had made solid retirement plans I am not sure we would have willingly waved goodbye to the wages without the push.

Spent the first six months in full frugal mode, scared of running out of money. Now we’re fine. 10/10 would recommend.

Sticky, Realist35, DoggaPP and 3 others like this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hubby left his job about 6 years ago now. A couple of years later he was offered a short term contract of 6 months with a significant salary that he couldn't say no to. He quickly realised that he didn't want to go back to the stressful environment that he'd left behind, even though the salary was around double his previous earnings, so I told him to quit. I said that yes, the money was lovely, but it just wasn't worth it. We didn't NEED the money anymore, so if you're not enjoying it, don't do it.

wylie, DoggaPP, craigc and 5 others like this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Kids?

11. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Just the 2 of us:)

Lacrim likes this.
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

That helps haha

13. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

april will mark my one year since being let go from my day job.
    since then o've been part time working for my wife'ss company (she is part owner), so i have 3 days to my self and weekend with wife and child.

i dont think i can ever go back to full time work.

going to pick up guitar back next month and maybe go back to uni ?

Heinz57, Bunbury, Terry_w and 2 others like this.
  14. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

No one ever enjoys it. It's not like you only come to that realisation in your later years.

It's just we do a really, really, really good job of convincing ourselves otherwise.

Investing is a mind game. Existence is a mind game.

15. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I haven’t retired yet (still in my mid 30s!) but started working part time after I had a child. Will never go back to full time work unless absolutely necessary. I love the extra time to spend with family and generally be less stressed about fitting stuff in. Had set quite a few things up in my 20s so don’t need to work full time.

Sackie likes this.
  16. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

You don't know what it's like until you've been there.
    I do go out as a contractor for the social and the fun. Occasionally and when i feel like it.
    I enjoy the business process, planning, strategy and managing the execution.
    But only in small doses these days which is about the last 15 yrs.
    I think they call it "gamifying".

Sticky, Sackie and skater like this.
  17. Lewy

Lewy New Member

Hi guys
    Bit of a unique position, I think anyway.
    Ive been fortunate throughout my early life by working fulltime since I was 15, some lucky investing and having the advantage of being in a high paying position since I was 23 - currently 31.
    My wife and I are currently considering selling our 2 properties, moving from the city to the coast, and downsizing by buying into a new townhouse development (only 9 of them in the development). This would mean we are mortgage free and in a position where we could both go part time at work to enjoy more time with our young son. It would mean a roughly 90 minute drive each way for me to work, but once Im part time than thats not really an issue.
    Id be interested in hearing anyone elses experiences with being mortgage free around this age

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm not mortgage free but my LVR is very low and my net CF allowed us to live a life of basically doing what we want from about 36.

Having the freedom to choose what you do on a daily basis is what's it was always about for us. Freedom of choice.

Hayden94 likes this.
  19. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Wow what an awesome position to be in. I’d think seriously about taking out a small mortgage and buying a house instead of a townhouse (with rates so low the repayments on an eg $200k mortgage are minimal) but if you like townhouse living then why not go for it. Are you considering having any more kids also? Would the townhouse be big enough?

20. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I was stood down on jobkeeper for much of 2020 so it was a good taste of early retirement.

A few interesting observations I made was that:

a) I needed a lot less money to live on that I expected (Jobkeeper version 1 was plenty)

b) I did miss the the social element of working.

c) I often wondered how I ever had time for a fulltime job despite not doing anything overly meaningful with my new found sparetime.

Anne11 and Firefly99 like this.