Who is going to retire young

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by MTR, 30th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Is your avatar the picture of you at 42? :)
    What sort of business did you set up? Great story.

2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Feels like it.

Industry not important, though Business services will suffice. Before starting a did a 14 year “apprenticeship” in the in industry learning all aspects of the business, operations, sales, marketing. I was confident I had clients that would follow me, had investors and had a good pool of talent to draw on. I would not suggest this as a path to get rich quick!

Player, Zenith Chaos, Sticky and 7 others like this.
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I took a different path - just kept refinancing and bought another and another and another without an exit plan except to just keep accumulating. The exit plan I had envisaged was a LOE variant. Done many cosmetic renos - almost each time time I bought and during ownership.

My problem is similar to yours except I have to sell down about 1/2 of my portfolio and i'll get that magical $100K passive (net). But as some of you know, I'm not willing to do what it takes (yet).

I'm waiting for a turnaround in rents like we had between 2005-2008..I believe we were on track for that to happen in 2-3 years until COVID19 hit. I still think it'll happen but super low interest rates, Govt stimulus, build to rent and the virus have muddied the waters in terms of timing and the supply shortage.

Last edited: 27th Aug, 2020
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This sums up close to our situation.

Hubby was burned out aged 50, after enjoying work for a long time. But things changed and he was doing two jobs. An engineer (he is not an engineer) retired and his work was dumped on hubby's desk, so he was not one to say "no" and hence was working stupid hours. He needed a break, took a year LSL, went back and nothing had changed.

So aged 50 he resigned (30 years in the job). They lost someone who knew the workings inside and out, and then couldn't fill his job. Incumbents did say "no" to the stupid workload or resigned. They finally split it back into two jobs again. But they'd lost someone who had great value. Stupid.

He did nine months and three months with a similar workplace as a favour to an old boss, and could have stayed full time, but that wasn't what he was looking for.

We used the inheritance from my parents (sold down a couple of IPs over that time) to allow him to stay retired whilst allowing us to hold our development project, which we are finally doing now. If not for that, we would have sold an IP of our own rather than force him back to work.

The plan was to sell two houses and use sale proceeds to build four townhouses, replacing two rental incomes for four brand new townhouses with great depreciation.

That is what we did, but a few life events meant things got a bit bumpy, but we are still following our plan, albeit with a few tweaks.

I'm looking forward to not being negatively geared very soon.

And when we do sell the next IP, we will get into something that doesn't have tenants, rates, insurance or land tax.

Bunbury, BunnyXiao, Islay and 7 others like this.
  5. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

Wow.
    This is powerful. We have one ip and the same in managed funds. One does appear easier, but do you think that the gurus of which I think you are one are less sure about property now?

6. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Good to hear your success story. is there any way to optimise tax in the sell down process or are you resigned to paying the full CGT?

BunnyXiao likes this.
  7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

By and large, will cop full wrath of CGT apart from one in a company structure....and perhaps selling if/when I stop work. Selling while gainfully employed is going to guarantee 25% of the gains going out the door and never coming back :(.

BunnyXiao likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm flattered (if I'm reading that correctly), and I'll be honest and say that if I was starting now, I don't know that I'd buy inner ring property, purely due to land tax taking so much of the gross income.

Also, I look back on one property we paid $156k for and then spent about $40 over the years upgrading it. Last valuation (20 years later) was $950k so I'm not complaining at all.

But I think "could we even buy that house now?". Then I recall that it was only slightly cheaper than our main residence, so it sounds cheap now, but it was the price of any other house that needed updating in our suburb. It was a stretch for us financially at $156k (sounds so odd now).

We have never held many properties, never more than three IPs at once, but on the two in hubby's name, the land tax this year will jump from $12k to $17k because we've reconfigured two lots into three. It would have risen anyway, but reconfiguring means it rises more, and when we register the townhouses and turn one block into four, that will rise again. It's getting out of hand.

That is a big chunk of rent before we pay all the other expenses. It is manageable when the property value is rising, but when it isn't rising, the UCV seems to continue to rise and the threshold doesn't move much, if at all.

Right now though, I have our super sitting in cash because we will use it to finish the build. But if we weren't planning on drawing it, I am not sure that I'd put it back right now into the "high risk" area it has been invested into within the super fund.

BunnyXiao likes this.
  9. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

Yes it’s a changing! Yes I was complimenting you!
    We have one expensive ppor, one cheap ip and the same in shares. Lots in super. We are 45yo so uncertain about next steps. Property might not repeat the last 20 years. Land tax is a thing. Thinking of buying in Kingscliff just to avoid it.

Zenith Chaos, wylie and BunnyXiao like this.
  10. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

Nice stories Wylie and Lucky Duck. The honesty is very moving. Bless. Thanks for sharing. Yes land tax is a thing there and a yucky thing it is. Two very unexciting IPs and i sock as much as I can into paying them down and a decent amount to super. Cant and wont sell as I get hit with the expat foreign CGT. So maybe draw down equity later to buy a home somewhere when I finally do settle.....ha read never! Maybe something i can also rent some rooms out or something to live in and produce income. As you guys say tricky times. At 53 I still have time to bumble along. Being here is comforting as I self educate

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That's what I did.

Bunbury, MTR and Lacrim like this.
  12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

10 years yesterday since I retired.

Not as young as some but not as old as others.

I had to wait until the FY I turned 55 so that I could make use of all the tax benefits.

Ten best years of my life (including 2020).

Going out to a special lunch today to celebrate. Might even have a glass of nice shiraz to top it off (probably more like a bottle).

Zenith Chaos, rld, Bunbury and 10 others like this.
  13. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

What's the definition of retirement?

I mean I believe were always working towards a goal till time comes up (unless the brains time comes up first)

BunnyXiao likes this.
  14. BunnyXiao

Nice. I think for me it means financial independence. Where I'm all set up and don't have to worry anymore. As to retirement, I don't think so. At 47 I quit my profession as a regulatory affairs expert. Last 6 years I retrained and became a fully qualified K-12 teacher. I think I'm semi-retired now. Because I have assets but need cash flow. And its too boring sitting at home. But I couldn't be serious and professional any more so I changed to a more fun life with more paid holidays. Later once I have more of a buffer I want to try the next stage of life in my 60s of renovating properties. Then see after that.

15. jane_c

jane_c Active Member

Nice story. I'm 46 and looking for a change. I own a PPR and wouldn't mind renting from this point onwards. The reaction I generally get is 'you're too old to be rent vesting'. I'd love to say I'm close to retirement in the next 5 years but nothing is further from the truth. Need to get on that IP treadmill. But you've inspired me..its never to late for a career change- if you know what that is!

16. BunnyXiao

I rented and bought two IPs. I had to move around with my career and I still do now as a kindy teacher. I bought in areas I could afford and rented in expensive areas I couldn't. I took in student boarders and rented out two of my 3 bedrooms and lived rent-free myself. Now I don't pay rent as work provides accommodation free. I'm using my salary to pay down my IPs. I also put 15% to super. I'm single, mature and had 0 help from anyone. You can do it!I had no clue what to do after I got sick to death of my serious professional life. I sort of fell into teaching then did the qualifications later to get real money. Funny thing now is I save double what I did on my fancy 6 fig salary.

Anne11 and jane_c like this.
  17. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

Yeah, selling down is a dilemma when you're reducing the total value of the assets you hold. I have considered the permutations of this quite a bit. For quite a while I was intending to sell a townhouse I built, which would also get me over the $100k mark but would have reduced the total value of my asset base. This scenario entailed keeping my PPOR to utilise the 6 year rule. However, as my current PPOR is mortgage free I will not be reducing my asset base if I sell it as the sale proceeds will be fully re-allocated to equities. The property is also a period house and I really don't want the bother of a tenant causing damage to the original features. Selling my PPOR and consequently moving into my most valuable IP will also alleviate some of the land tax pain too.

The way I look at it life is fleeting and sometimes you've got to just roll the dice and go for it. I was planning to take 2021 off with an eye to only doing contracting work from then on. With the borders closed and travel quite unlikely I'll delay that by a year. Hopefully we will well and truly be in the clear COVID wise and the economy is on the mend by 2022. If so I will sell my current PPOR, renovate my new PPOR and travel.

Last edited: 7th Sep, 2020
    craigc, Anne11 and Heinz57 like this.
  18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yes at some point the dice has to be rolled. Will you be equally happy in your IP than your PPOR, finances aside? That you're mortgage free on your PPOR is a huge upside.

My analysis boils down to the same thing because selling is wealth destruction via CGT and reducing the $ value of assets. Less asets = less benefits of compounding growth. It's a pretty simple concept.

However, if you fail serviceability and can't do a cash out, don't want to embark on a money spinning business ie what you really want to do is smell the roses, travel and do all sorts of fun things, what other choice have you got other than to sell?

Bunbury likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I suppose you have to ask yourself ........why you became an investor And what was your end goal the purpose of this??

20. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

Finances aside I definitely will. The IP is larger with more land, there's room for a pool and I'm a big fan of mid-century architecture. I've lived about three quarters of my adult life at my current house and I will be very sad to leave it though. We have great memories here and we love the house but we're also quite excited about renovating and moving to the new house.

Absolutely. The other factor is that selling down will also realise income and capital that will make serviceability much less of an issue.

Very true, the goal is abundant financial independence. It's not monopoly. There's no point in being the richest person in the graveyard if you haven't lived a free life.

Last edited: 7th Sep, 2020
    orangestreet, craigc, Anne11 and 2 others like this.