Precious Metals Who is buying gold at the moment?

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by samiam, 10th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Hubby is..
    just checking..I have no idea! :s :s

magyar likes this.
  2. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

And Unca Scrooge Forbes Rich List

[​IMG]

Penny-pinching poultry keeps majority of his fortune in gold coins stored in massive "money bin" high in the hills above Duckburg; also invests in pearls, gems, other "hoardables." Still refers to August 15th, 1971 –the day President Nixon took the U.S. off the gold standard– as "Black Sunday." Habitually marks anniversary by calculating net worth as percentage of the value of the gold in Fort Knox (21.4%). Famously frugal: Once fought a bear over a $2 jar of honey, never gives to charity, still has the first dime he ever earned. Nonetheless, known to sprout the occasional wild feather and jet off to exotic locales on ill-conceived "treasure-hunts" with troublesome great-nephews –and presumed heirs– Huey, Dewey and Louie

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    BKRinvesting likes this.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Typically only buying under A$1600, haven't bought any substantial amounts for a few years now. I did buy $1,000 worth of silver today though :p

My most substantial speculation in precious metals has been in a couple of silver exploration/developer companies on the ASX in recent months.

magyar likes this.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Couldn't really blame anyone for buying now though... :p

[​IMG]

samiam likes this.
  5. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Gold as only utilitarian value and no more monetary value these days.
    The same can be said for diamonds which have less utilitarian value and probably more expensive by the kilo.
    So it's all about perception just like the ole tulip days.

No thanks. I don't think it has any value during the zombie apocalypse.

6. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

If you took all the gold ever mined (most of it in the past few decades), it would make a cube about 20m x 20m x 20m.

So less than a cricket pitch wide, long and high!

Weighs tons though; its about 19 times denser than water.
    How Much Gold Has Been Mined? | World Gold Council

7. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

Yes gold and silver . I think long term you can't go wrong with gold along with crypto currencies. As we move closer and closer to a cashless society (and with it the taxing of all sales such as eBay, garage sales ect), alternative currencies will be more sought after so people can wheel and deal without big brother getting involved.

samiam likes this.
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

CowPat likes this.
  9. ACMH16

ACMH16 Well-Known Member

Who We Are | World Gold Council

"Who we are

We are the market development organisation for the gold industry. Our purpose is to stimulate and sustain demand for gold, provide industry leadership, and be the global authority on the gold market."

Yup, totally an unbiased source definitely not looking for a positive angle on anything

10. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I buy gold and silver using abcbullion. Just a couple hundred a month on an automatic monthly plan...just letting it accumulate.

I only do this as markets are irrational. I dont 'believe' in gold per se, I just believe that things go crazy every now and then and I'll accumulate precious metals when they are relatively cheap.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

So do you think they are lying about central banks adding to their monetary reserves in aggregate or...?

12. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

Central banks, the banking families and governments are all hoarding gold like no tomorrow.

Archaon and Guest like this.
  13. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

What are the rent yields and tax deductions on gold?

14. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Want to share names? Guest

I've been pretty happy with the recent share price performance in Novo Resources:)

15. Guest

Guest Guest

One of the forum members at Silver Stackers sold the tenement to Novo, interesting read: Stumble onto a gold mine or buy a lease.

They look well overvalued at current market cap, but well done riding it up! Do you have an exit strategy or going to hold them for exploration results (seems to be a lot of success priced in)?

My junior silver resource companies are MRV (average buy price of .005) & ARD (average buy price of .032). Think they are both well positioned with positive news flow to come over months ahead and hoping alongside a rising price of silver ;)

16. ACMH16

ACMH16 Well-Known Member

I think they're focusing on a single quarter this year being higher than a single quarter last year and making that the headline figure, when the text makes it clear that even including one extra quarter (h1 2017), demand is flat or lower and it's well below the five year average

17. Guest

Guest Guest

My point was simply that central banks (in aggregate) are accumulating gold in monetary/reserve form and have been since around the GFC. Suggest you read the post I was replying to for context.

I don't know of any central banks accumulating diamonds, perhaps @Piston_Broke can fill us in on their activity in that area...

18. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Zero :(

19. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

So, better than the rental yield on lots of leveraged residential property then.

Archaon likes this.
  20. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

so why do folks buy it?