Who install window box aircon?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by EN710, 9th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Handyman. It just plugs into a wall socket right?

Tom Rivera and EN710 like this.
  3. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

It will need to fit the existing hole in the wall/brickwork etc otherwise further work is required to fit one.
    They are cheap for a reason and are a little dated now. If they cannot be repaired I generally get a small spilt system installed. A decent smallish split might cost $600 and $500 to install.
    For $1700 that must be a larger unit for a lounge area etc?

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Whoops, it was $1300. The quote is for same type item (box aircon).

Now I’m looking at the pic again, It’s for one of the room and currently installed on the window. The window has some sort of board(?) with hole that hold the AC. And from the look of it, I can see a plug o_O don’t know why $1300.... appliances Online even include remova of old unit in the price.

5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Great price from online

New one would have to be correct size to fit

How old is the cactus unit?

Handyman should be able to fit but split systems much neater

6. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

It's fairly easy to fit if you are handy.

When we had a split system fitted in my bedroom I took out the old in wall box unit.

I reckon it took me less than 2 hours to rig up a frame and install it as a removable air conditioner in a window in the apartment my daughter was renting. If I was doing a like for like as a window unit it would be even quicker.

Propertunity and Tink like this.
  7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Prices for box units vary quite a bit based on power. 1.6kW is pretty small for a living area, okay for a bedroom. You can get a handyman to install because it just plugs straight in. Pay for it to be delivered and the Handyman should be able to remove and install for a couple of hundred? That $1,300 is a bit sore unless they've quoted you for a BIG box unit.

If it's in a living area, I'd definitely be looking at replacing with a split though. Price will be about $500 install plus cost of unit.

Propertunity likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Installing a split will also require the hole in the window to be fixed if the old air con is removed.

Ironically, a couple of years ago I had a wall air con replaced. Got it done by an electrician, not realising that I could have got a handyperson (as long as the amps were the same).

9. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Good point, though it depends on how it's installed. Many of these set-ups don't modify the window so they can just be removed.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia