Technology & Social Media Who has stopped using eBay in favour of Gumtree and FB groups?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wylie, 22nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

FB is a social media platform, Ebay is e commerce, Gumbytree is a quasi of the later owned by Ebay, FB is too messy IMO, buy a sale is a sale, do I guess most people use everything that is working ?

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

God i hate FB marketplace.
    I've listed some old items that I've removed as part of my reno.

Listed an old kitchen sink with a mixer for sale for $10... the amount of messages i got, yet none of the showed up. So annoying.

Had one guy who said he would pick up at 8am, then he messages me at 8am and said he's stuck at work and asks if i can do 10:30am, then at 10:30am he says he can't make it and can i come at 3pm. So i sold it to someone else, and then he gets annoyed at me.

I think i'd rather throw this stuff in the bin than deal with this crap.

Phantom, wylie and Illusivedreams like this.
  3. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Ah, cool. You're right, got muddled. :D

Air_Bender likes this.
  4. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Bypassing Australian business.
    Not paying GST
    Not paying income tax
    No consumer protections or insurance
    Most don't meet Australia standards. Most don't have Australia n C-tick approval.

In many cases extremely poor quality.

Because of this It's hard for Australian businesses to compete they are fighting with 1 arm tide.

I'm really happy Ebay now charge s GST on imports. So Australia makes a bit in import tax per se

5. dabbler

LOL .... a copy of gumbytree.....

TBH many things are better off in the bin, and you have to know how too weed out time wasters or those with a hundred questions who never buy......

6. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

No need for the guilt trip mate, I do buy and support local. But that doesn't mean I have to boycott overseas online shopping. Never had an issue with GST being imposed on online sales. If it means it'll even out the playing field then by all means...

Definitely not my experience. Yes, there are some dodgy sellers who just want to make a quick buck but they're pretty easy to spot. If A is selling an item for $20 and B selling is the same item for $2 then it's easy to see who's trying to pull a fast one on you.

Also, just like ebay I only buy from top rated sellers with at least a 95% and above positive feedback. Always look at the feedback for the specific item you're buying to see what previous purchasers are saying about the item and what it actually looks like as they usually post photos along with their feedback.

7. dabbler

What is a 1 arm tide ?

As per above, but the prob for many Aussie businesses is we produce very little, and why should I buy a Chinese item off a local for 50 bucks when I can buy it online and delivered for 5 bucks.....cause that is the trend......regardless of the fact that govt decided not too impose tax on low value imports, it makes no diff, still going to buy from OS if a local wants to rob you, if they are fair, no drama, but also they usually do not carry the things you can get online either.

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Does any do pay it forward groups on fb? I have given away some items and haven't had any issues but am becoming a bit sceptical as there are a few regular buyers who may be on selling. ..... i was very upset when i gave away a petrol rc car then the guy sent a video of it flying up his street! :( i didn't have time to fix it and should have asked for rc gurus to fix for me! Haha oh well

around our area we just put things out the front :) it's an unspoken free trade agreement. We've left pot plants and picture frames etc random things you could sell for a few bucks .... or just give them away. I've picked up a couple of kids toys. And i keep an eye out on a neighbour around the corner who often has some quirky retro gear :)
    Oh and scrap steel out the front also.

Great alternatives to going to land fill!

Joynz and wylie like this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Most people in our area just put it on the footpath ,and it's gone within a few hours..

If you want to sell something ,the few auction outlets still in business get very good prices on the southside of Brisbane ,and the cheque is in the po box within a week..imho..

Whitegoods, Electrical, Collectables Photos - McDonald Auctions

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We also put things on the footpath regularly, and collect other things from other footpaths regularly. Right now I'm selling something I'll get $150 for that we picked up on the way out last week.

Do we need the $150? No.

Do I enjoy the cut and thrust of the game? Yes.

We donate things very regularly and I like that feeling too. We donate to our local Crippled Children store front. This store front has no warehouse to back them up. I believe they can sell only what is donated. So we always donate to them rather than the big charity "businesses".

bob shovel and Joynz like this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I also get sick of the game and stop for a while, but "once a fossicker, always a fossicker" and I usually go back. It's like going into an op shop. There often is a treasure in there just waiting to be found.

And I also way on FB an item listed for sale. One of the comments was along the lines of "I gave this to you because you said you really needed it and couldn't afford to buy one. Why are you now selling it on the same site?"

That item quickly disappeared, and likely was listed on another site instead. There are people who are "takers" everywhere.

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Wd have a local "buy nothing" facebook group.
    I've got to list more....

The lister can choose who gets it, but the way it tends to work is whoever replies quickest tends to be the person getting the goods. I don't like that so much. I'd rather list something for a few days, see why people want it and then choose who gets the items.

13. bob shovel

When you post try and put a little spiel "does anyone know someone who needs a (item) bed frame" try and guilt the greedy ones out of it

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I can't be fagged - usually I put up an item for my FB friends to see - if no one wants it then it either goes straight to the Salvos, or on Gumtree for free/pickup only if it's really bulky (ie, a bed).

I've only found a couple of cheap and nassty things on Gumtree - like when hubby needed some golf clubs for a charity day (he never plays)

15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Just off Facebook market place.
    Anyone interested?
    IMG_5283.PNG

bob shovel and Phantom like this.
  16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This is why I don't receive those posts!

17. bob shovel

Do they post?