Who has NBN? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by wylie, 1st Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

Optus Cable !!!!! :eek: WTF ? you should be getting way faster speeds than that !!!! 5x or more!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I just did the Ookla speed test to see if there was any difference. It looks the same as the one I've already done.

Ping 14
    Download 8.37
    Upload 0.85

If I keep going I'll be back to the stone tablet and chisel.

3. TadhgMor

@wylie I’d be complaining big time, if you’re on cable you should be getting way more than that

4. wylie

Just was on the phone with Optus. She asked me to turn the modem off and on, then turn off the wifi and run the test again. This time I got

Download 7.10
    Upload 0.65

She's sending a tech this week so hopefully I'll get some improvement.

To be honest, I don't find the loading of pages very slow, but sometimes I do get a "hung page" where I'm waiting longer.

Perhaps I'd notice more if I was downloading movies? I can watch things on iview with no issues.

5. TadhgMor

wylie likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Lol
    22405569_362557430866952_1784890693708052673_n.jpg

TadhgMor likes this.
  7. AlexV_Sydney

AlexV_Sydney Well-Known Member

Ping: 5ms
    Download: 84Mb
    Upload: 38Mb
    (Telstra, copper wires, multistorey building)

8. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

I get anywhere between 14-90 download, consistent mid 30s upload with 15 ping.
    Fibre to building setup at Mascot. Very volatile speeds depending on how much other residents are Netflixing or Starcrafting lol.
    file.jpeg

9. diagnostic

diagnostic Well-Known Member

Getting FTTN in a few days so will report back, I believe the company you go with is also important for speeds as there could be congestion on their network. Also the type of fibre you have matters :)

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

SMOF or MMOF? or so you mean fibre vs HFC?

FTTN speeds rely on the copper from the node into your property - this is more of a factor.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The congestion will be on the last leg no matter what....Wont matter who you use. I I do know that if you choose a slow speed then your maximum speed will always be slow. I was on a 25/5 plan and it sucked. 8mbps if I was lucky. I went to 50 and now its always in the range of 45/25...Slowest in two months has been 28/10....Still faster than I could have dreamt under the 25/5 plan.

I reckon almost all complaints are peeps who think if they take a cheap plan they will get 100mbps. If you get a cheap plan it will be a dog.

I would suggest start at 25 and then when you realise it sucks go to 50 and see what happens.

I wish my home was like work - Yes this is REAL. F/A18 with a nuclear reactor !!
    2 ms
    Download
    872.16 Mbps
    Upload
    710.59 Mbps

12. wylie

I went to a shopping centre today and spoke with a chap at the NBN information stand. We punched in my address and he confirmed we will have access to non Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC).

He confirmed we won't have to rely on the ageing copper in our street that caused me such grief when I tried to move from cable a while back.

I learned today that we will have to ditch our landline phone and move to VOIP. That's ok except that we have a back to base alarm that uses the phone line.

I called our alarm company who can convert our system to work over the 4G network so we will look at the costs to do that (once they email them to me).

I had no idea we wouldn't be using our normal phone handsets and assume that is the same for everyone, or is it just because we are going to HFC?

He also said for our usage (just two of us, one at a time using internet, catch up TV on the net, Netflix) we should be okay with one of the the lower packages.

For a family with several devices or if we had sons still here gaming, or streaming content on Youtube or downloading movies he said we would likely need more.

He said if we sign up with the lower rate package and need more speed, we can upgrade.

He couldn't tell me which provider to go with. I will (of course) pick the wrong one and get a crap service.

I've printed out your long post @Paul@PFI and will read it again but I'm thinking of avoiding the bigger players. The guy today said to find out who will be servicing our area and then google to find reviews for them in different areas where they will have a track record (good or bad).

13. Scott No Mates

Alarms need to go to a 3g/4G service. Your monitoring cost will increase slightly.

Everyone has to go to VOIP because that is the only choice (other than mobile connections).

14. wylie

For someone without internet, I'm guessing they keep their telephone and old copper. Just thinking of my mother-in-law.

But I'm wondering about if she lived in our street and had to deal with our copper line that was so old and brittle it wouldn't support a telephone line for us.

There must be plenty of older people in very old suburbs who might have issues with old phone lines going forward.

15. Scott No Mates

Anyone who wants a phone needs to go to NBN (within 18 months of NBN becoming available in the street or she'll lose her phone connection).

If she lived on your street and she wanted a phoneline, she'd need to sign up to one of the providers for a basic service. If she doesn't have cable to the house ie pay TV, then the NBN has to install a wallbox and bring a new cable into the house.

The service provider then installs a VOIP modem for her phone service. So in your, case you get a HFC to your house and don't have the old copper except in the house. If you've got Foxtel (or had it), then the carrier will install a splitter for the phone line then put in a VOIP modem.

By the looks of it, most carriers have a basic service for about $30/month + calls (on par with copper service).

If the service is FTTN, then you're more reliant on the crappy copper to the pit and the copper up to the house.

Last edited: 19th Oct, 2017
  16. wylie

Thanks for that answer @Scott No Mates.

So my mother-in-law will lose her landline 18 months after NBN comes to her street even though she doesn't want or need internet?

There will be a LOT of little old ladies (and men) in older suburbs who are going to be absolutely devastated and won't sign up for any sort of internet because they don't want it nor understand it.

I just read this on nbnco.com.au and it seems my mother-in-law is going to have to learn new tricks when she is 90. She is 88 now and NBN is coming to her about April next year. I guess she can hold off for 18 months until she is 90...

Will my existing phone and internet services really stop working if I don’t do anything to switch to the nbn™ network?
    Yes, this is the case for the 93% of Australian premises connected to the nbn™ network via a fixed line technology. You can see where fixed line technologies have been installed in the nbnrollout map. We recommend you migrate your services over to the nbn™ network well before they are switched off, which occurs 18 months after the nbn™ network is switched on in your area.

When ordering an nbn service in Satellite or Fixed Wireless areas, have a discussion with your service provider about your existing landline. Consider keeping the service active if you rely on the landline in emergency situations.

Last edited: 19th Oct, 2017
  17. Scott No Mates

They don't need to get a plan with internet just need to sign up to an NBN provider.

From all of the recent articles that I've read, most people's complaints are about line speed not VOIP issues.

18. wylie

Thanks @Scott No Mates. I'll talk to her so that when she reads about it she won't have a panic attack and think she's going to have to buy a computer. :D

19. Scott No Mates

She'll only have to fork out for a tech to come out and set up her service.

20. Scott No Mates

Sounds like it's cockies to the rescue.

Linky

Sounds like alot of damage but in the scope of things it's less than the cost of 1 reel of 720F backbone. :confused:

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.