Who has NBN? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by wylie, 1st Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

:(

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Everything is cheaper than mobile BB.

Plenty of articles about setting up your own networks with people who can achieve line of site with low powdered microwave dish.

jim1964 likes this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Any Optus signal?

4. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Not sure Dave,we are all Telstra,One of the kids is Vodafone,no signal there,ill find out though.

5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Optus bought Vivid Wireless and now deliver across their mobile LTE network, $89pm unlimited 12/1 megabit

jim1964 likes this.
  6. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Sorry I wanted to say 10Mo/s or 100Mb/s, like really fast compare to ADSL2+

7. Scott No Mates

100mbs is very fast - good for multiple users, gaming etc but you'd also need a wireless router which was up to the job.

10mbs will be about the same SD the ADSL, maybe faster or slower depending on the carrier.

8. jim1964

jim1964 1941

No,none.

9. jim1964

jim1964 1941

nbm.PNG

10. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

The NBN in our office, which is in a six month old house in a brand new development (not Opticomm) is slower and much less reliable than the ADSL (not ADSL2+, just ADSL) at home in the sticks... what gives!!!! Not impressed at all.

11. Scott No Mates

@Tom Rivera - are you running only one computer or several people in the office? Is it the basic service or the faster speed?

12. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

It is compulsory for all of Australian homes to be connected to the single Gov comms network.
    There shall be no other alternative for the masses & plebs.

13. Scott No Mates

If you want NBN then you need them (your ISP) to hook it up when NBN becomes available at the Telstra line will be disconnected. Your alternative is to use mobile or dedicated fibre from your own carrier.

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I didn't set it up so I'm not sure, but I imagine it's just the basic service. There's only two of us using it and neither do anything particularly intensive while at the office- we leave the big downloads for the ADSL at home, hahaha!

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I will share my NBN experience.

I spat the dummy with Telstra over our appalling ADSL2+-$ what ever it was. It sucked. It was always slow - (Speedtest.net is recommended). It dropped off endlessly for days on end and Tesltra didnt wnat to fix it - They tried to sign us up to a gold plated NBN service. Thats a con.

We checkout broadband providers using this great website. We were looking for :
    - Faster speed 25Mbps+
    - Included calls
    - Unlimited data
    - Modem + no plan with a low upfront cost
    Plenty offer this and it takes some patience as all the big guys pay to feature on the top of the list.

Remember folks NBN is like buying water. It all comes from the one pipe and the one provider. The one you choose ONLY does billing. Maintenance etc is all done by NBN who contract Testra techies. So ignore what you think of a bag name or a small operator.

ALL providers offer self install and its the cheapest way. If you are really dumb you could follow the steps. If you are old you may need help. Basically there are a couple of MUST haves before you can put the NBN on.
    1. NBN is in your street and your house appears on the NBN database.
    2. If you have an existing telephone with more than one handset you may need to disconnect this. A sparkie can help. NBN hates a shared phone connection. ie alarm + phone, multiple handsets etc. I was lucky and during one of our endless complaints about ADSL the techie from Telstra disconnected our downstairs fixed phone. I will come back to how we addressed that.
    3. The NBN MUST be installed on the first phone line into the property. I couldnt use downstairs. In some homes this poses a problem and I have a suggested fix.

Tip : Dont try to save $$$ and provide your own modem. The settings are quite complex and you will find the provider wwill charge you to fix this stuff. And it WILL be needed. Use their modem.

When the modem arrives dont touch it. Wait until connection day. Disconnect the phone and remove the filter. Follow the modem instructions and plug everything back in. Your phone will now connect to the modem NOT the filter / splitter.

Suggestion : Many older phones may encounter problems esp old rotary dialers expected in older homes. Consider buying a wireless multi handset system.

Suggestion : Bigger homes. We had this issue. So we connected a powerline adapter beside the NBN so a data feed comes our of NBN into the PLA. Another PLA was installed in another area (remote area) of the house. A PLS with a min 100MBPS speed is essential. In the remote room we then installed a wifi router also 100MBPS min (more than that is wasted since NBN cant go faster !!) and it broadcasts the wireless data in other areas of the house. PLA cost $80 a pair. Router cost $80. It ended all complaints form all our kids. Nobody has ever since complained of data access and speed. We have three wifi zones now and its even better.

We found that the standard NBN at 12Mps which was activated on day one was really congested. We are in a ADSL area and have fibre to the node so all homes share the ADSL and it gets a bit slow. To avoid this we immediately choose a higher speed !! We initially went with 25Mbps and got around 10-18 which was stable but still not that fast. When ADSL is removed in a year it will improve we are told. . Later we went to 50MBPs and now get a stable 35-50. The 50MBPS service costs same as the former 25 which they are phasing out (my provider is)

I havent noticed any difference with phone calls but Telstra customers will get a different dial tone that I'm told is annoying and like an American one. (Engaged signal). Our phone works like before with one difference. Private numbers arent blocked and we can see any blocked number - and can block them !!

We are with MyNetFone and I cant fault it. Almost all calls (even to mobiles) are included etc.

Warning - DONT use 12 or 25MBps on NBN ie basic packages. Its not worth it. Its congested and really really slow. And avoid the big guys like Optus and Tesltra. The days of them maintaining things has ended and they offer higher prices and bad service v's smaller operators.

Word of warning - Although we migrated numbers to the new provider and that meant no Bigpond Telstra didnt cancel Bigpond. They still billed us. I had to arrange termination despite it being impossible to access Bigpond ADSL without a Telstra phone service. And they continued to bill for phone services. So watch for this.

wylie likes this.
  16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

No it doesnt. Every ISP has to buy backhaul from NBNCo and also their own internet transit services for upstream bandwidth.

The bulk of the congestion issues are due to ISP's having to buy backhaul at so many interconnection points, and so those with deeper pockets can afford more.

Spoony likes this.
  17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've just done a speed test (5.50pm) via beta.speedtest.net and got -

Ping 11ms
    Download 11.74Mbps
    Upload 0.36Mbps

I've no idea what it should be. But this looks low to me?

Did it a second and third time -

Ping 18ms
    Download 16.82Mbps
    Upload 0.40Mbps

Ping 13ms
    Download 12.02Mbps
    Upload 0.20Mbps

18. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

@wylie yeah thats really ordinary ADSL, if you have NBN I'd be complaining big time!

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I have Optus cable. Could NBN be any worse?

20. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

I have a 5 gHz microwave link via a local ISP, this is is what I get :D
    upload_2017-10-9_19-1-21.png

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.