Who has a lockdown project at home?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Depreciator, 3rd Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Oh, that sounds nice. No beach here, but a back lane full of magpies that like to swoop.

Lizzie likes this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Well - that put a damper on the next stage of my lockdown project.

Rang to order the delivery a small tipper truck of mushroom compost to fill the garden beds ... "sorry, our soil beds have been stripped clean by crazy buyers. Nothing until the delivery next week" ... okay, any chance of some white scoria so I can do the paths? ... "nope, none of that until next week either".

I will wait, as their mushroom compost is amazingly good ... in the meantime ... tomorrow I will paint doors and today will be my first attempt at online grocery shopping - wish me luck

3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

With so many going to online grocery shopping one safe place to go grocery shopping will be .... supermarkets because most buyers are shopping for groceries online. :)

geoffw likes this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep! First thing in the morning, when most are still in bed. Works for me!

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That was a big fail - rookie mistake of not checking delivery/C&C availability times as we were pretty easy about the "when". Spent nearly an hour online shopping ... only to find no delivery or pickup timeslots available AT ALL

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That's pretty poor form. I realise they are busy.....but if they want people to use the service, they have to make it available.

Lizzie likes this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Just needs a proper clean :cool: 20210820_141350.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The modern ones are easier.

Not like the ones from 30 years ago, with a removable weight on the top of the lid (that wobbled as the pressure built up and looked like it would fly off at any moment).

The pressure on my 10-year old one is set with a dial. Newer ones are probably even simpler.

9. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Ahh! the lid that wobbled, my mother had one like that and I remember it being all over the ceiling, that's why I was terrified ... :eek:
    My new pressure cooker just needs me to press a couple of buttons and I dont have to touch it again, it does it all. However I made a couple of mistakes, too much liquid and should have halved the cooking time. I will have to find recipes for new electric pressure cookers and practice some more ... :D

10. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Slowly getting around this house.
    Getting more confident at heights again climbing up and down this narrow scaffold, gets wobbly AF at the top when I’m hanging off the top rungs of the end frames with one arm and reaching out.
    Tied a rope anchor to the scaf through the window just in case it wanted to fall over for some reason.
    I hate painting more than anything, but it’s actually satisfying after a while.

6591648C-AD44-4E69-8E38-FD8938CF9705.jpeg 86F1A4FB-B842-4F28-9024-BEDDA2A98733.jpeg

Stoffo likes this.
  11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Sticking with the "stay the "F" at home" theme :cool: 20210821_104759.jpg Who needs to go out for "exercise" or a fancy breakfast :p
    Edit: this was a tree the council cut down in our suburban Sydney street yesterday (the neighbours have all been out thinking I'm randomly cutting down tree's illegally)

Last edited: 21st Aug, 2021
    Gockie likes this.
  12. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

Replaced a door that a single mum friend destroyed two weeks ago when her child locked themselves in the bedroom in the dark! Rental inspection this Tuesday. It's painted now and aside from a different non lockable handle hopefully no one will notice. At least this paint is run free unlike the rest of the place! Good use of my day off, although not lockdown, she was very happy to come home to a new door! $47 was worth the hug.

IMG20210820123747.jpg

Stoffo likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Did the latch not have a release catch on the outside? They've been standard on lockable internal doors for decades ... just insert paperclip, or pen tip, and voila.

14. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

It was an entrance set installed which was odd, key access on the outside, Quarter turn latch internally... I'm sure there was a less destructive way to get in, but where there's a 3yo screaming in the dark, logic went out the window at 8pm I think, after neither her nor the real estate had keys for it. Took 3 hours to replace and paint. Could've been worse!

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We had some patchup painting done (just before the lockdown). We called the painter back because a repair on a ceiling wasn't very good. He came in, applied his putty stuff, and scheduled a return visit to finish once it dried.

My wife came in, stood on the stepladder, and poked he fingers into the soft putty to see if it was dry.

We had to call back the painter for a return visit ASAP :-(

The Y-man and Stoffo like this.
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

My most recent lockdown project/challenge has been to beat my retired neighbor to bring the bins in to all 4 houses down our ROW o_O
    Success 2 weeks running now :D
    20210823_084823.jpg

17. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

As I work my way around the shed, these are the storage racks I made for bits of ply and other flat stuff. Anything that didn't fit in the racks got tossed. I was very hard on myself and felt drained afterwards - it's hard letting go.
    Horizontal racks next.

Attached Files:

chindonly, Lizzie and inertia like this.
  18. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Oooh, timber :cool:

Project 25.......
    Always wanted to wall mount the TV, went with a pivoting mounting bracket ;)
    Wasn't happy with how far it now will stick out into the room :(
    So, while pastering the new front door in :rolleyes:
    Fabricated a steel bracket to replace wall studs and........ 20210823_103340.jpg
    Should be painted and TV mounted before lockdown ends :confused:

Attached Files:

chindonly likes this.
  19. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I mounted my TV in a cupboard on pivoting mount attached to a steel bracket I made. Gives me much more confidence than fixing to a stud.

Stoffo likes this.
  20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

The way we're going you may be able to build a couple of houses from scratch, with mud bricks you've hand made before lock down ends. :eek:

balwoges and Stoffo like this.