Who else thinks the Sharemarket is going to tank much further?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by GoneFishing, 1st Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  2. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

Are these numbers inflated due to the low unemployment starting point?

IE Before corona the US had 3.5% unemployment (lowest in 50 years), if the US was at 6.5% before corona there would already be 3% receiving benefits so potentially 3% not lining up now.

The number is huge, dont get me wrong, massive countrywide shutdowns do that. I just wonder how much the numbers are inflated due to the low starting point.

charttv likes this.
  3. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Redwing likes this.
  4. Phineas

Phineas Well-Known Member

I agree that's a more realistic timeline for vaccines, even with fast-tracked TGA/FDA regulatory approval. Some of the antivirals being trialled however are already on the market for other indications and could conceivably be available for covid in a much shorter time frame.

My point was that, even with these best case scenarios, we can expect ongoing epidemiological interventions such as restricted travel and social distancing to continue to dampen the global economy.

Brumbie likes this.
  5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

US jobless claims soared to 6.6 M.

“The speed and scale of the job losses is without precedent. Until last month, the worst week for unemployment filings was 695,000 in 1982.”

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It would but not everyone will. Everyone I know is tipping as much into super as they can. Not taking money out.

Bunbury likes this.
  7. Perthguy

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  8. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Hey c'mon, I think dole bludgers are doing quite well. Doubled their money in 2 weeks!

*Joking, joking.

9. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't believe this, most ppl I know of paused their salary sacrifice.

10. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

It could be argued that the bottom has been found as massive US jobless records failed to negatively impact the market. Maybe it’s all priced in and a slow recovery with ebbs and flows is the likely next few months. In saying this, plenty of companies are going to go under over the next few months so a low risk appetite may suffice until maybe later in the year when one can start dabbling in more risk.

Brumbie likes this.
  11. Perthguy

What you believe doesn't change the fact that everyone I know is putting extra into super right now.

iloveqld likes this.
  12. iloveqld

Agree as we have different contacts, look like mine are all negative ;(

We are all holding cash to wait

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

I am still putting more in (before tax - a long way to preservation age) and also as after tax (closer to preservation age though) and holding cash as well to put more into super and outside

Froxy, pippen, Islay and 2 others like this.
  14. iloveqld

Not sure if you got burn last round but my friends did, they hold and wait as they can contribute extra before end of this FY

15. c_west

c_west Well-Known Member

We are getting clients to up their DCA strategies using excess cash holdings and if drawing down pensions, utilising cash and rolling maturing TD's for next 12-24 months while leaving the money invested in markets. In 5 years time this will be looked back as an opportunity.

16. Perthguy

Yes, thats true. Going back to my original point though, do you know anyone taking money out of super? I know some people will but perhaps not enough to effect the market much more than it already is.

17. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Lol I know people who were doing part time making $300-400 per week. Now they’re going to get a windfall of $800 per week lol

MangoMadness likes this.
  18. iloveqld

I have not seen any yet, probably many still have cash in offset. I think that withdrawal is only in Denial stage where nobody trust the stock market, which is not the case now. It is more like "I want to see the 2nd leg or more concrete good news before going back all in", and that is a good sight to me.

Perthguy and Anne11 like this.
  19. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Everything LOOKS well capitalised at the moment doesnt it? :D

There is a limit to funding all this. RBA prints money and buys GOV bonds and funds all the payouts etc... (this will lead to massive currency devaluation once confidence in the Aus economy vanishes and crashes the AUD, it also means savings and super etc.. mainly cash will be worth crapshoot in the future.)

And even if businesses continue with zero interest loans, they still have to payout their workers and other overheads. These will cause them to run at a loss. The critical thing is TIMING.

That's why I am saying watch out for stage 2 credit crunch. Theres gonna be a lag period. Especially since a lot of our banks and economy are predicated on consumers and property prices, once these start to go down from job losses and deleveraging starts to gain momentum we shall see....

20. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

More unemployed than GFC period. I dont think thats inflated due to a previously low reference point. and thats just a start.

MangoMadness likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice