Who donates to charity on a regular basis?

Discussion in 'Philanthropy' started by balwoges, 4th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

Around $20/month + around 80 hours/month to Disaster Aid Australia. (The most cost effective water charity in Australia. . . . safe water for $1/person/year)

A similar monthly amount in dollars for Rotary causes through raffle tickets, and 4-5 hours a month volunteeer time.

I am retired though!

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Animals Australia

gman65 and balwoges like this.
  3. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Monthly smith family sponsorship, me and wife don't do bday or xmas gifts for each other we do gifts to charity organisations instead.
    Also financially support not so well to do family overseas and in Australia. Don't know if that would be considered as charity.

We want to teach our child to give money/things/time. Any suggessions on activities we can do together that would instill a culture of giving? Thought of volunteering at salvos together but any better ideas where he would have a more hands on experience?

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Dog shelters
    You can volunteer walking
    Fostering puppies, but your house will need to meet their criteria

5. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed that women tend to be more reliable/ successful. 80% of my lends are to women.

Last edited: 4th Dec, 2021
  6. devank

devank Well-Known Member

For people who don't know how Kiva works..
    1. You deposit your donation. Say $100.
    2. Choose a borrower. Browse hundreds of borrower profiles and find a story that connects with you. You can pick any number. Say, four different borrowers. You can give any amount.
    3. Make a loan. Click 'Lend' to send money via our Field Partners, who vet, distribute and administer each loan.
    4. Get repaid. Receive updates as the borrowers you support to succeed and repay their loans. Due to defaults (rarely) and conversion rates, you might get back about $80.
    5. Repeat! When borrowers repay, that money is yours to keep, donate to Kiva or lend again to empower someone new! Over years, you'll see that you have lent so much money even though your initial deposit was small. I was able to support about 25 borrowers using relatively small initial deposits.

I have just created a 'team' called 'PC Investors'. Feel free to join. Everything is controlled by the Kiva system.

Never giveup, Baker and gman65 like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Meals on wheels volunteering might be a nice together activity

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if we should see if we can change the name of the Somerset team to Somersoft and PC Team. There would be a number of us still part of the Somersoft team (set up by Tracy I am fairly sure).

devank and Baker like this.
  9. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Mrs Car tart and I make a conscious decision NOT to give to anyone that asks. So we amount and fundraisers large sums every year that makes us big givers to Cancer Council and Variety.
    This makes you feel a part of the organisation and you proudly feel the impulse to beat your last record for giving. I’m lucky to have enough assets not needing to build up too many more and my four children don’t need to get a windfall when I die.
    The hard part is some charities take you for granted. One such was worthwhile but after 4 years and over $250k in donations, I no longer even received a thank you or card for my 6 monthly donation.
    I also look at the amount that goes to the charity itself after a donation and for this most of the help animal charities seem to spend more money on administration costs than on the actual charity itself.
    Both Variety and the cancer council score highly in this regard.
    Here is a pic of the two of us looking pretty with our 2021 cancer council total. Mrs Tanya Cartart & Mr Dominic Cartart (Tandom) 463D2422-6C1A-4FEC-8550-3994ACCAC299.jpeg

skater, George Smiley, Gen-Y and 3 others like this.
  10. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

This is the most imp part for me, hence I prefer to give foid/cash (when I can) to organisations who provide meals to people.

@devank I have never heard about Kiva, will check it out. I am not fan when one pays lets say $50 and after tax, administration cost, + other charges, actual charity might get just some amount not tge whope amount.

11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The really annoying part is when you donate to a charity, you start getting calls from all sorts of other affiliated charities. If found this with almost every large charity group.

Fortunately some groups do respect this if you make it clear to them that you don't want to be spammed for more more money.

12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I want to like everyone but a like isn't enough.

13. SuperOlaf

SuperOlaf Well-Known Member

Monthly to Royal Children’s Hospital foundation, Melbourne. Have seen first hand the amazing things they do for sick kids.

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They tend to ring our landline & ask for Mrs No Mates.

I get apologies when I tell them that she's passed away & don't hear from them again. :oops:

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.
  15. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Yes, agree.
    I was going through Royal Flying Doctors Service's financial statement. In summary, their revenue was about $98 mil and they have lifted about 112K people. That's about $900 per person. Regardless of their administrative cost, it is impressive!

Baker likes this.
  16. wylie

With Kiva, I usually lend in multiples of $25, which is the normal thing. I always give a few dollars that is optional to help the admin side of things. So the total $25 loan (multiples of $25) goes to the borrower.

It is micro lending, a woman needs $1,950 to increase production by hiring more artisans for her workshop, another woman needs a loan of $1,775 to build a toilet for her family. I've rarely had anyone default on the loan. It dribbles back in slowly and I continue to relend regularly, and make new loans as well. I love that I can make a difference to an individual. $25 to me is nothing but to them, it makes a huge difference.

Kiva - Loans that change lives

samiam, skater, devank and 1 other person like this.
  17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I think that was @Perp

devank likes this.
  18. wylie

Yes... Tracey's username, thanks. I couldn't think of it earlier. I still lend under the old group name.

Marg4000 likes this.
  19. Purple Patch

Purple Patch Well-Known Member

Still using Kiva, under the old SS group, often wondered if anyone else was still donating :)
    @wylie let me know if you change the name or I can move to the new one :)

20. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Save the children for monthly subscription.