Who does there own body corp management

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Keentolearn77, 4th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Hi
    Does anyone do there own body corporate management, is it very hard, time consuming

In reference to a splitter block - 2 house site.

Would a body corporate service charge much for a 2 house site?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Which state?

The Y-man

3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I've always wondered what's involved...
    We've got body corp set up for a lot of 5 townhouses, and also for another group of 6 townhouses, few years going now.
    Don't have a Body Corp manager, yet.
    Not really sure what they would manage anyway.
    Apart from paying the insurances, haven't needed anything else that the property manager can't handle.

4. Keentolearn77

Victoria

5. Keentolearn77

Oh and I have discovered for a 2 unit site - there is no requirement for body corporate - yippee

6. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I have property where I own the majority and set up the strata management and it's not that expensive. Essentially it comes down to the complexity of the complex (that sounds weird!) and ongoing or forecast maintenance requirements, in addition to the admin levy.

I probably could have handled it but it's not my PM's job to manage the other lot owner if the going gets tough so that's out. I also consider resale value...any future buyer may want to look at official strata records and see a sinking fund balance so it's important to consider that also.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Correct, but it will pay to get public liability insurance if there is common property (eg shared driveway) and go halves.

The Y-man

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  8. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I was speaking with someone and they own a 4 unit block, they outsource the owners corp to make sure they are compliant. However each meeting is more about showing photos of the family and where they have been travelling during the one hour meeting once a year (IIRC) and will spend maybe 5-10 minutes discussing the actual property.

9. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I managed a BC in a complex of 16 for 6 years and was not difficult. Collected and banked strata fees, paid bills and did the books, organised trades etc. all self taught :)

The owners decided to do it in house as was to expensive using a BC company. It helped I lived on site as well so used to pay my self an admin and caretakers fee each month.

Pumpkin likes this.