Who does skirting?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by property_geek, 7th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. property_geek

property_geek Well-Known Member

Hi,

We just have our house construction completed. We are getting tiling done now.

Any idea who does skirting? Is it carpenter's job or some other trade? Tiler can't do it and he doesn't know anyone who does.

Regards,
    Ravi

2. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Fix out carpenter

Joynz likes this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Floor tiling? I would have done the skirting before the tiling. Floor tiles are usually a little thicker than carpets so the carpet skirting could end up at one level and the tile skirting at another level.

WestOz likes this.
  4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

That's a worry to start with, any "good" Tradie knows other good ones in all building trades, the fact he doesn't?

There simple to install, check gumtree or similar for a handyman that specializes in carpentry, labor cost for a fully qualified Tradie will cost more.

The trade section at bunnies should be able to recommend someone.

Could also save if you purchase/supply the materials

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Carpenters do architraves and skirting and doors during the fix out. And before tiles are laid on walls or floor or levels will be wrong. Then painted by painter when they do all internal woodwork. Skirting is intended to address gaps between floor and walls and also surrounding door and window frames etc. Its required to comply with BCA to get an occupancy cert !!

6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Skirting should be done after the floor tiles to hide the perimeter expansion joints (req'd by Australian Standards, but rarely installed by Builders).

7. Perthguy

In Perth it is common to build houses without skirting for a "clean and modern look". Maybe double brick and tile doesn't require skirting boards and timber frame construction does?

WestOz likes this.
  8. Perthguy

I didn't realise this was so controversial! I am doing a reno now and have installed the skirting boards before tiling because I want the height of the skirting boards to match on each side of a doorway in a hall. One side is carpet and one side is tiles. I don't want to have to rip down the skirting boards on the tile side. Its easier to install the skirting boards and then tile and I think it will be a neater finish.

Seems like there are lots of arguments about it and no standard.

tiles or skirting boards first?

tiles before skirting? unsure

9. vbplease

Would you even notice the height difference if they're on opposite sides of a door? that would only be a few mm? Or do they butt up somewhere else?

I'd skirt last to hide the edge of the tile that may be cut, but more importantly hide the expansion joint. I see all the time tiles becoming drummy, or lifting because there is no perimeter/intermediate expansion joints.

Joynz and 158 like this.
  10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Yep, like our cornice it covers up the lower gyprock rough edge

Perthguy likes this.
  11. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

As long as it's high enough to allow easy carpet tuck under without a huge noticeable gap it'll be all good

12. 158

158 Well-Known Member

You're kidding?

Skirt over tiling every time. Tiles butted up to skirt looks horrid. It's also to allow for movement as standard building practice. Rarely adhered to though.

pinkboy

^^^ I started posting and got distracted.

pinkboy

13. Perthguy

I would notice the difference. The skirtings are only 90mm apart and the height difference would be 15mm. Not good.

Not sure about the expansion joints on a slab construction Western Australia. I am living in a house that is over 20 years old with floor tiles on concrete with no expansion joints. None have lifted or become drummy.

14. Perthguy

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks ;)

15. Paul@PAS

Skirting should ALWAYS be laid on top of timber flooring panels eg composite, bamboo and other click type flooring systems. It allows concealed edges for cuts etc and allows expansion gaps.

Perthguy likes this.
  16. vbplease

It's a new build? It's too expensive for the builder to make the floor finishes flush?
    That's what every home owner says.. "my tiles have been like this for 20, 30, 50 years etc, why are they damaged now?". It can be from ground movement, differential, thermal expansion, tile growth over the long term from moisture absorption. There's a number of reasons they can become drummy and expansion joints are designed to control the differential movement. I'd say 90% of homes I see don't have them, although they've been in the code since at least 91.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Perthguy

DIY reno. If I have any issues with the tiles I will be the one fixing them. It's going to look bad either way. The existing concrete pad was not poured very evenly. It has been screeded to take out the worst of the level changes but it's certainly not flat. So I could have tiled first, ripped down the skirting boards to match the height of the existing then installed the skirting boards over the tiles and gap filled underneath the skirtings. I think it would be noticeable.

The way I have chosen is to install the skirtings first and tile up to them. I think it will be noticeable but we will see. It certainly won't look like this unfortunately. With this I can't even tell which was installed first.

[​IMG]

I doubt the house where I am living has them. It was barely built to code 25 years ago.

vbplease likes this.
  18. Perthguy

Anyway, now that I look at it, I agree with @vbplease, tiles first then skirting.

Skirting boards should be installed by a carpenter.

19. Paul@PAS

Skirting is nothing modern. 100 year old houses have more ornate features but I cant think of a no skirting and architrave house.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Looks tidy but I would have done the skirting after the tiles. That is the whole
    Idea of a skirting board to cover the gaps between flooring and wall