who does not have tv?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by samiam, 29th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

We replace tv with internet -
    me on property chat :) and him on cars :mad:

2. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Yup happy to find ppl who do not know what Games of Thrones is

Angel and Joynz like this.
  3. random

random Well-Known Member

l may as well throw mine out , l dunno why but l can't even be bothered with movies these days. Love movies , well l use to.

Angel likes this.
  4. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

We have never won a game with The Big Show in the side - fact. 6 caps for 0 is worse than the baggy greens overall win/loss record. Two terrible dismissals which confirm this guy is not a test cricketer.

Stat: Wade scored 9 across 2 innings, and let 30 byes through. -21.
    We lost by 20.
    Just saying.
    Peter Neville should not have been dropped. Only dropped to make up the non NSW numbers (Wade VIC YEAH?). Our Blues cricketers are as hot as the Sydney property market.
    Bleed Blue!

Khawaja had a game to forget too. And originally played for NSW - don't accuse me of blue tinted glasses.

SOK (NSW!) recalled to the rescue, let's hope he doesn't have one too many beers in Bangladesh. Okeefe forgive him his indiscretions ... is .... a property investor, listen to his interview with Phil on the SPI podcast. I would love to have an angry ale with him.

I thought Agar out bowled Lyon. Figures back it up in the first innings. Nathan Lyon reminds me of Mr Potato-Head, Contraversial: and that stupid little skip on the delivery stride is a YES vote for gay marriage.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Those without telly in their lives what can you say to people with tele to share the benefits

For 99%of the country tele and being glued to it is "normal"

Perhaps there can be a "biggest loser thread" on going cold turkey from tele! Great way to reset your viewing habits! I've done the same with sydney commercial radio! Wtf is that garbage!???

Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Your description of Lyon made me laugh.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

- but - but - but - if you don't have a tele, how are you supposed to sit up, late at night, bleary eyed and watch vital shows such as Inkmaster?

Personally, and rather embarrassingly, we turn ours on for the 6pm local news and it stays on until bedtime. Tends to be more background noise than anything as hubby usually falls asleep and junior and I stream stuff ... like 80's videos last nights (Weird Al spoofs anyone?) ... or River Cottage ... or ...

... until our pitiful amount of allocated rural peak data runs out after the normal two weeks (and then it's two weeks of slower than dialup)

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have pretty much listened solely to ABC (Double Jay/Triple J & 702) since the early 80's. Can't stand commercial radio.

9. Do Androids Dream

Do Androids Dream Well-Known Member

Ha, very interesting - I've never heard of so many non-regular TV watchers in my life. I'm usually the only one.

I have a TV but I also haven't watched free to air television since 2012. I mostly watch iView and watch a movie every now and then.

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I got excited when River Cottage come on ABC free to air last month. I set the machine to Record Series. So far, the only three episodes I have had time to view are the three I saw at my SisterInlaw's place years ago on her Foxtel.

I used to love movies too, but only watch two or three a year nowdays. The machine lets us pay to "rent" a movie without having to drive to a video store. Excellent use of resources post Wine o'clock.

11. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

When I say I dont have a TV I mean - we dont own a TV. Theres not one in the house.
    I do watch movies on the laptop from time to time - but usually will go to the cinema. Entering into the conversation "have you seen xyz movie" with me is generally pointless. Theres 90% chance I havent seen it. I rarely even watch a movie when Im flying (which is long haul every month).

I first became 'TVless' when I was about 21. I was young, single and living on my own.
    My usual routine was that I would come home from work (knackered), switch on the tele, get changed and vege for an hour or so. Make dinner and watch tv while I was eating. Then take a shower, clean up the kitchen and return to my shows (and usually stay up too late - hence why I was knackered). Over the weekend I would do the usual weekly chores (cleaning washing etc).
    At around this time I was also studying marketing - so, often found the adds as interesting as the shows to see how marketers were sucking you into buying what ever you didnt need.
    Then one day the TV made a 'pop' noise and that was it... dead.
    I did some research into what TV I was going to buy (spending a couple of hundred $$ was a big decision back then). I went into the shop to make my puchase and the guy said - oh thats a great TV... the new model comes out next month. So I thought I would wait a month and either get the new model, or at least the same model at a discount price.
    During that month, I would get home and with no TV decided to do the 'chores'. Anyway found that on the weekend I had a heap more time available, given I didnt have to clean the appartment, do the washing or the shopping. Getting bored at night, I was also back into reading and was doing more study.
    Suddenly I found out that I had a lot more time... and I mean a lot. I also didnt miss the TV at all. So instead of the TV, I bought a decent stereo system (half the price of a TV) and would crank out all my favorite tunes (I used to say "my neighbors listen to great music...weather they like it or not").

and thats how it started.

The benifits that I discovered.
    1) More time... a lot more time.
    2) stops you from mindlessly 'consuming' marketing (brain washing)
    3) If you utilise your additional time it opens up opportunities for more learning. I read a lot - and will burn through a book in a couple of days. I completed a Masters degree while I also worked full time.
    4) you sleep better
    5) you sleep earlier, and wake earlier
    6) you find the noise and activity of a TV ratherly annoying
    7) you dont miss it
    8) you learn that 'news' isnt really 'newsworthy'. Most of it is background rubbish or complete BS. It generally feeds a victim mentallity.

Even now we dont have a TV (and to be honest I dont think we ever will). It helps to 'control' what your kids are watching and when. We have an ipad and BlackyJnr gets to watch cartoons from time to time. However, this is a planned activity, for a specific period of time. Its not the 'default' activity. Tbh if he gets 30mins a day on average that would be high. We do find he gets addicted to it - the more he watches the more he asks for it. Send him 'cold turkey' for a couple of days and he forgets about it as an option.

I used to have a FB account but I deleted it. Mostly for the above reasons. I used to like it to keep in touch with friends internationally - but found the new txt messaging services (free - whatsapp) a far better solution without the BS. And its also private.

Im not completely out of touch (though do try). I mostly follow 'market' news and with that I pick up major international events. However, in doing this, I am able to filter through to only what actually interests me.

It gives me time to spend (waste?) all my online time on PC :p

Blacky

Phantom, Eric Wu, Gockie and 2 others like this.
  12. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

We didn't have one for almost a year when we moved into our PPOR. We didn't take it to Sydney when we lived there for a year (just got back in July).

I actually turn it on a lot just for background noise, especially if I'm home alone as the house seems too quiet otherwise :p

13. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Similar story here- our tv went blank on us 9 years ago, thought about buying but we didn't agree on which size we should buy :D we were renting and moving frequently then. We quickly get used to not having one. We no longer have active FB account. End up spending a lot of time on internet and PC though :p

14. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Go see Baby Driver ().

If you don't like the move, which is excellent, the soundtrack will kick all the goals.

Disclaimer: I have no association with this movie, but wish I did a cameo as, well, anybody....

15. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I've never had one since I've been married 17 years

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

What about TV? ;-)

Phantom likes this.
  17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I'd be crazy without a TV.

The TV is the focus point of the house. The TV sits on a cabinet. That cabinet contains the most important of things.....my car keys, tax records and other paraphernalia.

18. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

we do have a TV, but rarely use it. occasionally watch some ABC and SBS programs

19. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Lol
    If I wasn't talking about a Tv I would go insane :)

Phantom and geoffw like this.
  20. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I love my 4k hdr 75" tv. Havent had an aerial hooked up in years though. Netflix, youtube and pc sort out all our viewing needs. We work pretty hard so only have energy enough to sit on the couch and watch tv at the end of the day.

samiam likes this.