Who do you think will win the next election ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by See Change, 20th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Who do you think will win the next election

1. Liberal in upper and lower house

25 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. Labor in upper and lower house

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Liberal in lower house , labour and Greens controlled senate

8 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Labor in lower house , labour and Greens controlled senate

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Liberal lower house , free for all in upper house

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. Labor lower house , free for all in upper house

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. not sure , don't care

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  8. some obscure combination which isn't above and in reality is very unlikely

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

The more us taxpayers vote in a new prime minister the more we will pay for it in the long run. Their nice retirement pension has to come from somewhere. In my opinion none of the candidates are worthy of running this country. They all spin lies just to get voted as pm and then change their Mind once they are in.

2. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Vote for the fishing party. They might get more done.

3. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Silly question perhaps but I recall the Greens won a seat at last election. We've never had anyone other that Liberal or Labor running the country which makes us wonder if it will ever be any different. With enough votes maybe the Greens can be running the show?

4. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

i really have no idea on what's happening now in politics... and I think most of the politicians have no idea too..

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The Greens already run the show. Along with the independents and the one or two obscure senators, they either allow or block every bill when it goes to the upper house.

HUGH72 likes this.
  6. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Wonder if thoughts will change after the budget... a few spills are starting to come out. People can only remember what happened a few months ago, so calling the election after a budget will be interesting.

7. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Nearly 40% of respondents to this survey think that the lower and upper house will be controlled by one party. Pure fantasy!

8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I agree that's the least likely outcome.

9. Ed Barton

In 30+ years of a 76 seat senate there have been only 3 years where one party controlled the senate. That was at the height of the Howard years. Does anyone really think the ALP, or LNP are as popular as the Howard/LNP in 2005?

I guess a lot of people answered the question "who do you think will win" with "I want them to win".

Whitecat likes this.
  10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I noticed that too.

11. Ed Barton

The high court will likely be handing down it's decision about the constitutional legality of senate voting changes around the time Turnbull will be seeking to dissolve both houses.

It's likely the high court will uphold the senate voting changes - but given it's agreed to hear the case there's a chance the voting changes will not be upheld.

It will be hilarious if Turnbull calls a DD election and then get's the current preferential voting system. We'll get all sorts of micro party senators.

12. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    What's wrong with micro party senators? At least some of them actually have some real world experience instead of being career politicians or ex-lawyers like the current Labor/Liberal duopoly.

Whitecat and Toon like this.
  13. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

I don't care and don't vote

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I suspect it is easier in Russia as well, you can have who you like.

Ballot paper has one choice :)

TheGreenLeaf likes this.
  15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

We do not vote in and never have voted in a Prime Minister, it has always been the party that selects the leader and therefore PM.

If the parties decide to give everyone a go, as they have recently, that is when it costs more.

If those crackpots ever got hold of full power, we are all in for a very rough ride, I see them as obstructionists.

While the other two have both become very ordinary (but at least give many of us a difference in some relevant policy lately) the greens are not a viable alternative, unless people no longer care about the economy, which luckily not many can afford to ignore.

Could you imaging the likes of Hanson Young running the show ? No thanks.

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2016
  16. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

You don't know the Russian system well. :) Ballot paper has a lot of choices, but only one wins all the time. Because it doesn't matter how you vote, it matters how it's counted. :)
    You can always vote informal though.

17. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

It's the Liberals to lose but Labor could certainly tap into the rapidly growing and increasing Gen Y voter base and steal it.

Just following the media you can see that the resentment for current policy from Gen Y is growing rapidly and as a generation there isn't any loyalty to either party like previous generations have had so it's possible to swing it rapidly (think Kevin 07 only you've got another 9 years of Gen Y voters).

Will be interesting to see if they go down this path, the negative gearing is a hollow start that will fool many but if they made a real effort they could win the election (Liberal has already basically planted it's feet and gone with the two big middle fingers by stating their intention is to raise property prices and actively go against the idea of housing affordability).

I wouldn't trust Labor to get changing a light bulb right though so I'd still back Liberal if you put a gun to my head!

18. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Liberals easily for lower house - upper house I never followed a lot of interest in, but it's doubtful that LNP will hold a majority.

19. Ed Barton

That's a big call at this point.

If you have any interest in politics then you should be interested in the senate.

20. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

The senate has been fairly consistent in it's makeup since the introduction of 76 seats - with exception to Labor making a steady decline in it's % and a subsequent rise in indie left of centre senators. More or less the ideological divide has remained the same, just with different names on the ticket.

I'd personally argue that the majors have both been disinterested in the senate for decades - just have a look at election spend on senate positions (what spending?). This is actively being acknowledged within the LNP as an issue which needs to be addressed. (I wouldn't have a clue what ALP is doing internally).

As to calling LNP win - nobody finds fence sitters who won't even punt on Turnbull vs Shorten vote as interesting. ;)

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2016