Who do you get to do the earthworks?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Jmillar, 25th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm doing a subdivision (1 into 2) and then will be building on the rear.

The rear site has a bit of a slope (1m of fall over 24m from rear to front) and has some trees and sheds on it.

I'm using a Project Manager to manage all the operational works required for subdivision etc. Earthworks probably won't be one of them, but it will be required for the build.

Question 1: Should I get the PM to manage a contractor to undertake the earthworks and removal of the trees/sheds or get the builder to do it?
    Question 2: Should I get the PM to manage a contractor to prepare a flat building pad, or leave this to the builder?

Thanks

2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Why not talk it out with the PM? I would think the earthworks are best done all at once before building.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

A lot depends on the builder you end up going with.

Some may want to do it themselves, some won't. In which case you'll need to organise to their specification. The specification might not always be appearent though at this stage - for example the depth of raking, the size of the pad, compaction level etc etc

What does your development approval have in it for proposed earthworks?

On some of my projects the clearing was done by myself but the siteworks/prep was done by the builder. I like builders to do it so that there is continuity of warranty - ie they can't say that cracks are due to poor workmanship on the earthworks.

Tufan Chakir and Ethan Timor like this.