Who Can Legally change a tap washer in WA

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by smallbuyer, 16th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think it depends where the leak is actually occurring. If it's in the pipes it's a plumber's job. For a dripping tap it's probably the valve that's leaking (not a washer). Anyone can replace these, otherwise hardware stores wouldn't be able to sell replacement valves to the general public.

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that is quite right. Our local Bunnings sells powerpoints and light switches to the general public but they can only be installed by a licensed electrician. That said, there is a warning on the pack saying so. There is no warning on tap washers but I wouldn't get my legal advice from a product pack.

I don't know if it is legal for a handyman to change a washer. I suspect it's not but plenty do it.

Tink likes this.
  3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Bunnings also run workshops on how to 'fix a leaking tap' which is mostly about changing tap valves (at least in Victoria they do).

Joynz and Perthguy like this.
  4. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Bunnings is a great supply chain for doddgy "tradesmen", one TV program showed all these unlicensed "plumbers" getting all their supplies there.

Bunnings' has 100m electrical cable drums, some with wire up to sub-mains size. In that case of course the unlicenced guys are there but unfortunately for the licenced sparky it is often cheaper than the wholesale suppliers who price gouge the legit tradey (even after the supposed trade discount that requires sighting the licence at the wholesaler).

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It could be legal in Vic. Still not sure about WA.

That's great until your house burns down. I checked with the electrician for the last reno and he reckons he didn't use the bodgy cable. Fingers crossed.

Infinity cable recall: act now before it's too late

There is faulty electrical cabling in thousands of Australian homes and businesses. Time is running out before the cables become a fire or electrocution risk. Act now before it’s too late—get your cable checked.

Infinity cable recall: act now before it's too late

6. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Finally, some common sense!

There's no way I'm paying a plumber to come out and replace a washer.
    I replaced a toilet the other day - easy job, and saved a quoted $350 installation :eek: There's nothing I did that could have been done 'better' by a plumber charging the cost of my entire WC reno.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. smallbuyer

smallbuyer Well-Known Member

Issue is agent refuses to send the handyman

8. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Can you just arrange it yourself then?

9. smallbuyer

smallbuyer Well-Known Member

yes its a bit tricky though as im a long way away and what am i paying the agent for.