Who amongst us have gone solar

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Stoffo, 29th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Who amongst us have gone solar

1. Nope, live in an apartment/strata/unit

10 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Thought about it, yet to decide

70 vote(s)
    50.7%
  3. Yes, I have paid for solar

38 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I have solar and am looking into batteries

18 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. I am completely off grid

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Well our application for REBs got denied for a 30kw system on new PPOR and our street doesn't have enough power to actually power our house and we're an uneconomical upgrade - ie they'd like us to pay to upgrade the street.
    Soooooo we are actually thinking we might go off grid as the price to upgrade the street power is significant. We were going to wait until battery tech and price got better but might be time to bit the bullet now and go solar + battery + diesel genny or solar + battery.

2. LalorParkResident

LalorParkResident Member

Hi mate,

Some one earlier mentioned the website "PVOutput" and I found it pretty good to know how much solar to expect in my area.
    I am in discussion with one of the agents and he proposed the following:
    • 6 KW system
    • split it into three sections. 2KW each.
    • Design on roof in such a way that 2KW gives maximum output facing the sunrise till noon
    • 2KW gives maximum output during noon
    • Finally the last set gives maximum output during afternoon.
    Many companies are not interested in speaking at all about the design stuff but its worth speaking to them and then you might or might not need such a big system or a very big battery. Thanks.

Jamesaurus, TadhgMor and Chris Au like this.
  3. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

From all that I've spoken they advise to wait on the battery if you can. We were priced at 12,500 for a battery and they believe it will be around 6k in 3-4years which then makes sense to us anyhow. You can get your solar panels now though as it helps your return. Will you still need 30kw if you buy a battery storage?

qak likes this.
  4. LalorParkResident

LalorParkResident Member

Hi,
    I have been doing lot of research on what kind of panels can I buy and what is the difference between different investors (String, micro inverter or stabiliser).
    It is a little complex but this article How to Fix Solar Shading - Solar Shading Solutions throw some light on it.

Hope its helpful.

5. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

6. TamH

TamH New Member

To give you an idea about what's possible off-grid... Have lived 6 months now with in-laws on their farm in Southern NSW- we're on 1.2kW of solar (installed many years ago because twice as expensive to get grid connection, at the time the top of the line system), solar hot water, gas and wood cooking - 3 to 4 adults and 1 toddler. That runs: small TV, set top box, modem, two computers and LED lights in the evening, 3 phone chargers, landline phone, super efficient fridge/freezer, chest freezer, 2 loads in efficient washing machine and 15 minutes of vacuuming most days, occasional use of small mixmaster or microwave on sunny days, 2 fans in Summer.

To get through Winter their batteries will supply essentials for three days of overcast weather and if they haven't had sun for a couple of days they run a small generator for a few hours in the evening for the electronic entertainment. No problems in Summer. Upgrading the system a little bit and being willing to forgo the electronic entertainment a few times a Winter would allow them to avoid the generator but it also runs their fire pump and they need to run it every now and again anyway to keep it in good nick. ::shrugs::

In summary, it is AMAZING how little electricity we need to live a normal life by being reasonably careful about timing consumption and switching stuff off at the wall.:) That said, we have to be so careful of the batteries, I can't see that it would ever be possible to have an off-grid IP. Maybe if you went old skool nickel/iron batteries (much more robust than lead acid) or if the tenant supplied their own batteries. Or maybe a scary landlady in a boarding house with a master kill switch for load shedding 'non-essential' power.:p

Chris Au, Stoffo and Terry_w like this.
  7. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

I am striving to go completely off the grid. I have currently got solar water heating, solar electricity, and solar ventilation that I also use for home heating in winter.

Terry_w likes this.
  8. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

Interesting. Any idea where you saw the report @qak ? I’d be interested to have a read as I’m trying to weigh up the ‘rental value’ of solar myself atm.

9. qak

qak Well-Known Member

10. theperthurbanist

A survey commissioned by Origin Energy revealed that two thirds of renters would be willing to pay at least $5 more a week for a property with solar panels, while 55 per cent would pay at least $10 more.

So for a system that cost the landlord say $5000, that’s a payoff of 10-20+ yrs at $5-10 per week (without excluding management fees, maintenance, etc). Hardly sounds great... and yet I am still considering it! Purchase rebates and depreciation may soften the blow a little bit.

qak likes this.
  11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Plus depreciation write off

12. theperthurbanist

It is an interesting discussion re solar payback and IPs. I am currently considering how far to push the sustainability of a new IP I am constructing (largely driven by environmental conciseness rather than just economic returns - if it was the latter the answer would be : not much), and in terms of allocating money a lot of the items improve the sustainability of the home but aren’t likely to get renters THAT excited and result in a higher rental return. Whilst solar isn’t at the top of the list in terms of ‘sustainability delivered per dollar spent’ it is a highly recognisable ‘green-bling’ item that at least tenants know and (hopefully) want. To it may actually be money better spent than say double glazing and gold rated insulation which isn’t likely to get the majority of renters very excited at all!

13. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Just installed 6.5kW of panels & 5kW inverter on PPOR for a single phase grid interactive system in SE Qld.

Currently producing ~25kWh /day as it's still winter.

I expect production to rise to ~40kWh /day during summer.

By my preliminary calculations the system will be fully paid for after about 4 years. That's a good ROI from my perspective.

14. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

My prelim calcs for a new IP in SEQ (4055) are:

5k budget- aim $10wk rent increase
    = 520 year (10.4% yearly return),
    ~ 9.5 years payoff period (5000/520)- after this point then the extra rent is in my pocket

+ surplus generated back to the grid ~10kWh/day at ~10c feed in= $365 a year
    adjusted payback period: ~5.5 (5000/885)

+ depreciation: Declining Balance Depreciation Calculator

Any further factors i should take into account?

15. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

The tenant will receive the FIT on their electricity bill for your system though, so you can't really take that into account in your calculations.

Terry_w and jim1964 like this.
  16. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Yep good point. I think i confused myself with reading OO scenarios.

Just the potential of extra rent and the depreciation benefit it is then

17. theperthurbanist

Just been looking at sustainability for my new build IP. Spoke to four prominent property managers in the area (Parkwood in Perth) about demand for green (or more importantly: energy efficient) rentals and all four said “yeah, some people might like solar if they’ve rented a place with it before, but almost no-one will pay any more rent for it”.

I didn’t expect to generate ‘much’ higher rent, but I am surprised that it wouldn’t generate any more at all. Rather a shame really.

kierank likes this.
  18. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Some friends of mine have gone solar installing a 6.5kW system. Roof slightly off North and clear of shade all year round. However they went further and replaced the windows, frames and all, with double glazing. Also they have covered decks front and back.

Have to say it is very comfortable inside and quiet too.

Probably cost a packet to do it but I don't think they were at all worried about that aspect.

19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

20. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I've got one IP with solar on it. Rent is maybe a little bit higher than market, but I believe that they're easier to rent out. I wouldn't know though, as my tenant is very keen to stay and has been in there for four years that I've owned it.

I also have a property that I'm wanting to develop eventually and when I do, all the townhouses will get solar, double glazed windows, lots of insulation, etc.
    I think that REAs don't have much experience with it yet as so few green rental properties exist, but I would think that it will pay for itself reasonably quickly.

I'm also working with someone who is trying to get a market for sustainable rental properties: GreenRenter – Find your energy efficient home or office space
    Currently it's still in its infancy, but it shows that there is (or at least will be) a market in my opinion. Parramatta council and some other councils are supporting her initiative as well.

Not currently being used for residential installations though due to technical difficulties, according to a solar installer that I talked to the other day.

Stoffo likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia