White Decking

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by albanga, 15th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am in the final stages of selection in my PPOR building process and given we are building a hamptons style home I am considering going a white(ish) deck.
    The deck is also only 2850mm wide with 1700mm high privacy screens due to council regulations so I am also quite keen to try and lighten the space to give it a larger sense of space.
    The deck is exposed to the elements.

My current build quote is for a merbau deck but not sure this can be used.

Obviously I will speak to my builder about this but thought I would get some feedback from my PC friends first. What would you recommend in terms of timber?
    Also any thoughts on this? Pros and Cons to this idea?

I took a quick look on Houzz and thought maybe something like:
    My Houzz: Iris Dankner - Traditional - Deck - new york - by Rikki Snyder

Thanks in advance!

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

treated pine

no point spending on hard wood- coz u will lime or paint it

cabots deck paint in a white

very durable

does need a weekly mop tough

ta

rolf

Mick Butterfield likes this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

A white wash/lime wash will be better than painted deck as it won't show scratches the way a full white paint will. The deck in that link is gorgeous.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Check out the new Hardie Deck. We are going to use this in our PPOR which is somewhat Hamptons style too

You can leave it the colour it is, but I wouldn't in your case, stain it or paint it. Would look nice painted for you or a nice pale grey.

It's very very very low maintenance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want a more woody look then there are some great composite timber decks. It will cost more but the maintenance is a lot less.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

+1

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Hardwood for durability (you will need to treat it to stop the tanins)

Treated pine - cheaper alternative, softer material, how long do you want it to last?

7. albanga

Wow, thanks for all the great responses!
    My wife and I absolutely love the photo as well, and we also have bi-fold windows coming from the kitchen that open up to a serving bar which we think will look magical, especially since my wife has chosen the most expensive caesar there is! 5031 Statuario Maximus™ by Caesarstone

Given the house style it naturally attracts a high price tag on EVERY finish :(
    So if I can save costs on my deck and patio it would be very welcomed!

I should have also noted and not sure this changes opinion but half the deck is exposed to the north sun (higher traffic area) whilst the other half is under a roof, I imagine on a painted deck this could have a different look overtime?

@Scott No Mates - Obviously I would like it to last as long as possible. Realistically this is a 10 year home.

@Westminster that looks fantastic and given I am not overly handy, low maintenance would be welcomed. How does the Hardie Deck price up against Merbau and then the cheaper alternative being treated pine?

The total size is:
    Rear Deck = 20m2
    Front Patio = 8m2

8. Westminster

This is probably unhelpful (as it was to me) but so far I've been quoted $8k and $16k for 35sqm.

We are low maintenance people but love the look. So we are having porcelain wood tiles, all our verandah posts are steel, there is no glass shower screens in the house etc etc

That new caesarstone is lovely! It will look amazing

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If
    If you choose to go with wood the part that is exposed will wear a lot more simply just from weathering from rain. My deck (painted green) didn't fade with the exposure but the exposed wood did wear a lot more.
    So I think either go with the hardwood or choose the wood look tiles if you want it to last.

10. albanga

Thanks @Westminster and @Gockie for your feedback.

Given I am unsure of the value of the deck and patio on our build I am unsure how that cost stacks up? It does sound reasonable though.

Tiles is an interesting proposition. I am building on a slope though so the deck sits around 1400mm high from ground level at the highest point and about 800mm at the lowest.
    How would tile work here? Is it still possible?

11. Westminster

Being raised I don't think tiling would look good - you'd have to lay it over fibre cement board and I think it would just end up looking weird.

One of my favourite blogs was this photographer who built a Hamptons style home in Melbourne. I love most of it except for the clash between the island bench wood and the floor wood

Our Forever Home

albanga likes this.
  12. albanga

I spoke to my builder yesterday and he said tiles would not be a good option and would be likely more expensive.
    He has not worked with the Hardie board before so is doing some research and will get back to me on that. I will be sure to update this thread with the findings.

I will also start a thread when construction starts and be sure to show pictures of it coming along.

Westminster likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Joists at 450mm with 9mm compressed fibro or 600 mm with 12mm fibro
    1-2% grade
    Waterproofing
    Direct stick tile on the floor.
    Ensure that you have adequate expansion joints.

14. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

Hey @albanga was looking for some decking inspiration and found this post.
    What did you end up opting for?

15. albanga

Hey @Brendon,
    Wow a blast from the past post!

Ended up going a fairly different direction in the end. The house was originally on brick piers but ended up just before building changing it to a slab and excavated to drop my ground level which allowed me to have a much bigger backyard without the hideous privacy screens.

I ended up doing the deck myself with a chippy mate and he talked me into going spotted gum oiled in Cutek. It looks absolute ripper!

I had gone as fair as ordering the Hardie Board and had it delivered into my local Mitre10 but in the end even the rep talked me out of it! Basically for it to work it needs to breath and my deck is surrounded by walls. He said I would experience peeling of the paint and some other side effects.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.