Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Cimbom, 10th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Hello,

Our electric reverse cycle ducted heater has died on us and I'm not sure what to do. We have three options.

1) Repair it. It is an old system and the parts are no longer available to buy. We have received a quote of $660 to rebuild the fan motor and replace it (inc labour). There is no certainty that after installing this, we won't have other issues down the track due to the age. I'd be happy to get a few months out of it at that price.

2) Replace it for exact same type. We have received three rough quotes for between $8,000-$11,000 to install a comporable new system. I was surprised by these prices as our house is pretty small (130sqm) but it seems to be the range.

3) Replace it with ducted gas heating. We would lose the cooling (we admitedly don't use it much in Canberra) and would have to get a gas meter installed as we don't have one at present. I'm not sure if we can use the same ducting and vents - can anyone confirm? If not, this would rule out this option. This would be about $4,000. Apparently there is some gov't rebate as well.

If I choose #1, I'd be able to get it done immediately. Option #2 would have to wait a couple of months. Option #3 could be done relatively soon but it would take a few weeks to get the meter installed first. We are currently using a small plug in electric heater. I hope we don't have to use it for much longer as I've heard they really chew through the power.

Thoughts?

2. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

I think option 1 is good too. If gas prices are good then option 3 as a back up.

3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Thanks Big Red

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I'd go option one too.

At least it's only going to get warmer from now :) The last couple of months have been brutal.

5. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Thanks Jamie. That's what I was thinking as well. We'll probably only use it for another few weeks this year

6. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Well it looks like the repair actually can't be done so it will need to be replaced. Will have to decide whether we get another reverse cycle system or change to gas

7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Have you considered a wheat or bio fuel heater, less than $2k, a bit more if you pay some-one to install it. cost bugger all to run