Which whipper snipper? Garden noob

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Invest_noob, 28th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

Firstly what is the difference between a whipper snipper, line trimmer, edge cutter or edge trimmer, brush cutter?

We currently have a ryobi 2 stroke whipper snipper but it takes a lot of effort to start, leaks oil/fuel and when it does start, the string breaks every 5 seconds.

So I'm looking for thoughts on what would be a suitable whipper snipper for a small block 350sqm, a lot of odd growth around the edges and a lot of weed that can grow very tall. I'm leaning towards cordless due to the convenience factor but I'm not sure of the power compromise.

So how would you judge the power of a battery operated whipper snipper? A higher voltage battery mean longer runtime but how do you judge the ability to go through tough weed etc? Does the skin of the whipper snipper matter much?

I'm currently looking at this $99 cheapie since I already have a battery and charger for it, but am afraid it might be very weak.
    Ryobi One+ 18V 305mm Cut Cordless Line Trimmer - Skin Only

I'm wondering if it's best to get something better as a longterm investment, like this:
    Ryobi 36V 2.6Ah Brushless Line Trimmer Kit

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I've been using a Stihl whippa snipper. Bit more expensive but it's lasted over 10 years with no leaks ands easily starts.

When you start your whippa are you doing it properly? It can be very frustrating if your whippa doesn't start quickly.

Do this. Grap your whippa but don't tug it straight away. Make sure it's full of juice otherwise you'll go nowhere lol.

The usual fuel mix is 50:1 If it's full of juice, whack the choke on and give it a couple tugs. Make sure first that the throttle is locked on and that the kill switch is off. Once it splutters turn the choke off. Then, give it a tug or two and she'll be going full bore. Unlock the full throttle and let it warm up for a minute.

I think a whippa snipper and a line trimmer are the same thing. Edge cutters and edge trimmers are the same. A brush cutter will do your thick vegetation and may use a steel blade rather than a string line.

I use the green coloured string line (2 mm). I pay about $5 for a roll and its pretty weak. Jump up to the red coloured line (2.4 mm) and you'll see and enjoy the difference.

Like like they say" you only get what you pay for". Buy the expensive models and they'll last longer and work better.

Anyway I'm off to cut some grass. Might even do the neighbour .

TMNT, neK, jprops and 1 other person like this.
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of buying a cheap Ryobi power tool. Now I have lots. Last Christmas I brought a hedge trimmer with effectively a free 4 Ah battery. A bigger battery and the tools seem to work better and for longer.

A kit like this with a bigger battery can be good value Ryobi 18V ONE+ 4.0Ah Blower And Line Trimmer Combo Kit

Ryobi One+ 18V 5.0Ah Line Trimmer Kit

The battery is most of the cost if brought on its own

If I has time again I might go down the 36 volt route

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Good old ozito cheapy from bunnings should do the trick on a small block.

5. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

For a small garden I would have thought an 18v setup would be ok .
    You also get a lot more choice of interchangeable tools , drills ,angle grinders, multitools , sanders , blowers etc that all use the same battery.
    The size of the battery is important as the smaller 2ah batteries are no good for some applications that require a fair amount of force.
    The Ryobi 18v combo kit looks okay.
    Ive been a recent convert to the 18v kits but still have a petrol chainsaw, line trimmer , edge cutter and blower with 3 different types of fuel mixes.
    Most of the workshop tooling is now 18v battery, they even do impact drivers for driving in large screws for decking , you can get attachments for about $6 that go from 1/4 hex to 1/2 for sockets when you want to remove tyres of trailers and cars , many go up to 180nm, which is more than enough for passenger vehicles without worrying about stretching or breaking the nuts off.
    Brushless gives you a bit more power, but you pay more for it .
    Some tooling around the home you dont necessary need it.
    In a work application , it works better as time costs you money and supposedly lasts longer.

Invest_noob likes this.
  6. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

coming from a motocross bike background I find most people have trouble with the whole fuel pre-mix thingy. get it wrong and the little buggers will not run properly. not to mention never use any of the ethanol blend fuels with 2 stroke oils. E10 etc. ethanol and oil don't mix, and as most lawn equipment sits idle over the winter months the cheap fuels (E10) deteriorate. which all leads to hard starting.

I would be recommending looking for the maintenance free cordless options. the tools are getting more powerful and the batteries are lasting longer. you hardly ever see power cords on building site these days. the cordless stuff is getting that good.
    go for 36v but if possible get a bigger ah battery(s). I think 4.0ah is pretty common now. the smaller ah battery in the kits are the minimum.

you're terrible Muriel

Invest_noob, datto and Scott No Mates like this.
  7. Chicken or Beef?

Chicken or Beef? Well-Known Member

What you have is fine, just learn how to use it properly. As mentioned above, learn to mix the correct parts petrol/oil. If you’re breaking lines every 5 seconds, again that is user error. Cut clockwise, don’t go against it.

If it’s still all too hard just get Glyphosate 450 and kill all the edges.

8. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Our stihl is over 20 years old and still ticking over .

You do pay more for stihl but for key equipment , it’s worth it .

Other than that , we buy “ home brand “ ( ozito ) and haven’t had any problems with those , BUT , they lack grunt for most jobs .

I’ve been very impressed by the Royobi one range of tools . We have their hedge trimmer and tree pruner and now I have their cordless drill , I haven’t used my corded hammer drill for drilling in to brick walls etc .

Cliff

Invest_noob likes this.
  9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

And when you lose the plot and smash or heave it over the nearest fence you feel a great satisfaction with virtually no guilt (as it cost bugger all) :D

Jamie Moore likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A couple of pointers:

• Don't use E10 in your 2 stroke motors
    • Line trimmer & hedge trimmer are two different beasts
    • @datto - if the grass is greener on the other side of the hedge, it's probably been dyed
    • @Invest_noob - the use of those tools is a menial task &should be left to the professionals. By all means hang a pristine set up in your man cave.:rolleyes:

datto likes this.
  11. Invest_noob

Thanks, I might give the Ryobi 18v a go since it fits into the Ryobi one+ 18v system. I already have a ryobi 18v battery and charger, so this might work well. If it doesn't work well I can always return it and get the 36v.

I also have an 18v 4ah aldi/xfinity battery and charger which apparently can be tweaked to be used on ryobi tools.

Keen on battery operated tools, I don't think the fuel oil mixing etc is my cup of tea so I'm to leave that aside. Typical millennial :(

Thanks everyone for your input.

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've had three two stroke whipper snippets, and Theon them all out. Two were $99 cheapies, one a $300 one (with a brush cutter attachment). I have two other two stroke tools which work ok, but it's been a pain to start all three whipper snippets. Mixing the fuel (and I know it's not E10) is messy. I wish I'd got an electric, I just didn't think that they would do the job.

13. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

I bought the 18v Ryobi trimmer and blower combo mentioned above on special recently at Bunnings and it’s working really well. I’m much happier not having to mess around making up petrol mixes and then it leaking all over the place.

Would well recommend.

Invest_noob likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

My previous Ryobi was a PITA to start, the current whipper snipper (can't remember the brand) & Honda mower are a dream to start, generally 1st go after priming. I bought both from the local mower shop not Bunnies.

Mixing fuel isn't at issue, 350ml jam jar, splash of oil, near fill of fuel, shake the 5#¡+ out of it & into the trimmer. Oh! Now you tell me that it's 1:50 and I should measure it out. :eek:

datto likes this.
  15. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Invest_noob likes this.
  16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Worst purchase was a Victa petrol trimmer. The guy says it uses these simple to remove lengths of cord. Yes it is easy. Ten times in 20 minutes ! Its made of aeroplane jelly. Its redeeming feature is the hedge and the chainsaw attachments.

And the Victa lawnmower has a removable mulch guard. Remove it and the lawn blocks the catcher and the blade area underneath. ****ing useless. They said they grass was too wet. It was December in Sydney. I took it back and Bunnings tried and and agreed it couldnt cut grass and put it in a catcher. They gave me my $$$ back.

datto likes this.
  17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah 50:1 for the trimmer and 25:1 for the lawn mower and 60:40 for the spirit/ coke and ice mix.

Look I never accurately measure the mix. I guesstimate and my equipment has been running for years. But if you do accidently put too much oil in, just increase the revs so that the oil burns. You'll see it blow out the exhaust as black smoke and go straight up to the ozone.

18. Scott No Mates

What ratio for my beard trimmer when wanting to achieve a neat no. 2?

datto likes this.
  19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Don’t waste your time on 18v, go 36v all the way. I do like dewalts range with the 18v/36v battery combo. It’s a 36v tool but the battery can also work in the 18v tools

20. Invest_noob

So I've been doing some reading on batteries, turns out the volts are only a part of what matters, the amps per hour make a difference too. So the 18v battery with 4ah gives 72 watts, which is the same as a 36v battery with 2ah.